4wd towing

P

pulsarboby

very sensible question from me now, totally sober, and unintoxicated in any way or form:lol:

im looking at buying a trailer for my curcuit car for next year, but im pushed for space to keep it anywhere! so i have now thought of buying a 2 wheel dolly as its easier to store!
but my question is: can you tow a gtir as its 4wd for a long distance with rear wheels on tarmac, will it damage the transfer box / transmission?

O

Odin

pulsarboby said:
very sensible question from me now, totally sober, and unintoxicated in any way or form:lol:

im looking at buying a trailer for my circuit car for next year, but im pushed for space to keep it anywhere! so i have now thought of buying a 2 wheel dolly as its easier to store!
but my question is: can you tow a gtir as its 4wd for a long distance with rear wheels on tarmac, will it damage the transfer box / transmission?

The only way you could tow it like that is with the propshaft removed fella ;-) , You will f*ck up the diff's otherwise....

Rob

P

pulsarboby

yeah cheers rob:-D thats what i thought, but wasnt 100% sure as someone else (a 4x4 mechanic) said it could, but i was pretty dubious of that!

tomble

i have been rescued by the RAC when my water pump went, i stressed to him it had to be put on a lorry!
Luckily the chap knew full well what the car was :)

Tom

bracpan

Its also against the Law to tow a car like that unless its for recovery only.
Its to do with the weight of the car if its over 750kg (which most are) its classed as an unbraked trailer. And the limit for an unbracked trailer is 750kg..plus thunder god is correct the car would be well F****d by the time you got it anywhere.
I have the same problem so I am also looking for a trailer, thats not going to make a big hole in my racing budget.
best of luck
Phil

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
According to Nissan, if you use a towing dolly, you must have the other wheels off the ground. If you tow it with all 4 wheels on the ground, you're limited to 30mpn and les than 40miles.

If you have somewhere to keep the car, can't you keep it on the trailer to use less room? (immobilise the trailer some how tho.)

P

pulsarboby

not really, as the car will still be road legal and probably kept on road, i had a trailer before with my other track car and they just take up a mountain of room, i will probably go down the route of hiring a trailer for the weekends, more expensive but at least i havent got to store it or keep it maintained, and they are top quality trailers, not the snakey variety lol