A GTIR at last! Now what do I spend the rest of my money on?

K

KrissJ

Yes after a long time wanting, I'm finally gettin an R. P/x wi my mate in afew days. I'm goin to have about £1500 left ovber though and I want to spend it on the car so what should I go for?

Current spec is: Trust exhaust, HKS induction & BOV, & 17s.

My current thoughts are between:

Whiteline works kit & front & rear strut braces, & Powerstation bumpsteer kit,
OR lowerin springs, strut braces, organic clutch & ND boost upgrade with Gp A fuel pump,
OR coilovers (whiteline or tein etc),
OR springs, strut braces, FMIC, ND boost upgrade & Gp A fuel pump (but then no money for clutch so would this be advisable).

Obviously you lot know more than I do as you have the cars so what would your thoughts be, or have you got any better suggestions? I just wanna get to work straight away so I don't end up pissin the money away :wink:

Cheers for your help guys :!:

A

andy n

drive it around for a month. youll spend that on petrol! mines always coming up with new bits and bobs that it needs so i would live with it for a bit and see what it needs.

J

J-GTi-R

You're missing the most important mod, BRAKES!!!!

Seriously, before you go anywhere with the mod list get a decent set of 4-pots on the car, that'll make the biggest difference to the way you can drive the car. Then go handling and power in that order.

K

KrissJ

Yeah, its always an option I guess but I do have other money comin in regularly and so wanted to spend this on something worthwhile, not just everyday running costs. There's nothing wrong with the car at the moment and the chances are it'll be serviced when I get it so the only thing to pay for will be the MOT in Feb '04.

K

KrissJ

Oh yeah, I forgot to put brakes in there. Which ones do you reckon? I was thinkin a long the lines of AP 4-pots with 295mm discs (about £1300), or Tarox (they're 6-pots aren't they but I don't know about prices) but should I definately get 4-pots or would a decent set of grooved discs and some fast road pads make enough of a difference?

Cheers for the feedback so far :D

O

Odin

I have ap's four pots with 304mm discs running 16's and there
brill but you could save yourself a shed load of cash by getting
the hi-specs there about £700 I think maybe less maybe more
I'm not sure but you would have some money left for the white
line stuff too 8) 8) 8) , Thats the way I'd go if it was me matey.

Oops nearly forgot new discs and pads are a waste of time really
there a bit better but for a few bob more you could have the hi-specs :wink: .

E

Edd

IIRC when i rang up hispec there 4 pot 300mm kit was £756 delivered
The AP's are about £13-1400 :shock:
I'm going for AP's 8) but have managed to get them half price, otherwise i'd have gone for Hispecs

E

Edd

But to add the 285mm kit is about £550 because the 285 kit doesnt require ally bells like the 300 does, so you could save urself more cash by goin for the 285's ;)

K

KrissJ

Cheers for the replies, there seems to be a trend in the answers so I guess I'll go for brakes then.

The Hi-Specs sound like a good deal (although 1/2 price APs sound awsome for some!), does anyone have a contact number for them? Don't the alloy bells help with cooling to help against fade? I'd just rather they didn't fade when I'm givin it some as the roads round here (Lake district) can be hard on brakes. At that price as well, I reckon I could still stretch to the works & bumpsteer kits, which'll be nice 8)

I know the whiteline works is supposed to come with shocks, but does it include springs as well, and if so, what sort are they? Also, does anyone know anywhere further up north that sells whiteline stuff, or would be a good place to get it set up properly if I have it delivered cos Powerstation is feckin miles away!

J

J-GTi-R

Another option for the Hispecs is the Wilwood kit (similar pirces). I've got their 4-pot and 280mm disk kit and to be honest you won't get fade on the road with them, I did 5 dry laps (then 5 wet) of Castle Coombe at nutter pace and didn't get any fade.

K

KrissJ

Nice1, cheers. Do you have prices for the wilwood kits for a comparison?

Glad to hear you don't get any fade as this gives me more options. Gigantic discs do look good though. My cousin has a Civic with Brembe 4-pots & 330mm discs behind 18s and they look fookin excellent so I'll probably get the biggest that I can stretch to.

Thanks for the advice :)

SunOnGTiR

Hello, BIG BRAKES is a very good idea :wink:
There was a thread about Wilwoods............
I think there were 285s and 310s but I think you have to buy 2 sets for a special price.
I think the company's called Rally Designs

G

gotoinstant-redline

i think (off the top of my head) that there is also a 325mm hi spec kit and i think willwood do the same sizes..

tbh i'd go for the hispec. i just like them and i have never heard a bad word about them. the willwoods are more race calipers so need more care.. doesnt mean they are bad.. they are really good.. just you need to look after them for them to last.

the alloys bells and billed calipers weigh less than the standard brakes! so you save weight (better 0-60 and 60-0) and also the bell bing light means that there is less rotating mass.. thus more bhp to the road! nice.

also. make sure you have VERY good tyres. if you have mental brakes and remoulds then you will die up in cumbria. been up there a few times to visit m8's.. racing round the lakes and the roads can be really hard on the tyres and brakes. but i spose you know that being a local..

powerstation is THE place to get you handling setup.. they have a really good rep for setting up gtir's and i wouldnt trust anyone else as much as them to setup their own bumpsteer kit. it is a long way for you.. but its worth it.

so with large hispec brakes on there and the PS bump steer kit.. you will fly.. then i think the works kit from whiteline.. and you have a really well setup R. ready for loads of power mods.

oh and get rid of the 17's.. they are too big and heavey. some 16's will allow 315mm discs and 4pots and help the handling out.

L.

J

J-GTi-R

willwoods are more race calipers so need more care..
Not the new kit. The old Superlite calliper that the GTi-R kit came with is a race-orientated calliper, as it has no dust seals on the pistons, but Wilwood knew they were missing out on road car sales as a result and so developed the Midilite calliper, complete with dust seals.

Davey

Yeah, hispec do a 325mm kit, ive got a set, need 17's to run them though, unless you are definatley keeping 17's i'd get smaller brakes, so you can change your wheels in the future
Try performancefx, they are pretty good for hispec, not sure if you can buy direct from hispec though, may be cheaper?
Oh yeah, and make sure you get gold calipers, cos they look mint 8) :D

B

Ben Chandler

I've just fitted a set of Hi Spec's and am well pleased. I went for their six-pot 335mm kit with EBC Red Stuff's. The kit is very high quality and for the money you won't go wrong. The mod has transformed the car, before the Hi Spec's each journey felt like a near death experience-how sh*t are standard brakes?!
I reckon you're best off spunking your money on brakes and keepin a bit back in-case anything goes t*ts up. You can buy direct from Hi Spec, I did, the service was good and fitting was dead simple. Check www.f-inbigbrakes.co.uk for applications or call 01322 286850.
Good luck! :D

K

KrissJ

Cheers for all the advice! :D I'm definately keeping the 17s cos they look quality n I really like the wheels themselves aswell. I've been looking at the barkes atc n think I'm gonna go for the Hi-spec 300mm or 325mm n 4pots, then save up a bit more and get the whiteline works, then the bumpsteer kit.

This is the plan now but as it stands I don't have the car yet cos (even though I thought everything was covered & goin dandy), the bank rung me up yesterday & are being total fuckers as per usual so it could take me longer to get the car and I might not have as much money as I thought. Add to that, my mate's now bein mucked about, which really pisses me off (even though its out of my control)!