a question!

J

Jon

ok, this is not my R but my bosses car.
had a problem with starting it summer just gone..took it into his local Renault garage & they did a fault diag' (checked the batt/leads/starter motor/coil/electrics..came up with no conclusion bar cleaning the Ht leads & all was fine till this week

symptoms.(petrol engine by the way)
turn the key
sounds like batts dead/dodgy/on it's way out
then suddenly it speeds up & fires like its totally fine
turn off & try again & sounds like the engine is really straining to turn over, then just speeds up like normal sound & fires.
tries it this morning at home & it was dead, jumps it with another car & it fires like normal.
the battery is totally fine, earth to the chasis is good...... :?:

Any :idea: 's would be most appreciated guys (+ girlies sorry)

J

Jon

apparently they garage checked it for any faults Jason?
wierd how it's gone several months, now the cold is here it's playing up..me thinks it's gotta be electrical then but where.. :roll:

A

AZ STE

Id try putting a secondary earth lead from the battery terminal to the engine my have a bad earth problem. For starters just use one starter lead with crock clips on :wink:

J

J-GTi-R

I had the same problem on an old Collora coupe I used to have, that turned out to be a bad earth. I was sure as long as the main earth was fine I wouldn't have a problem (cleaned it up a couple fo times to no avail), but it turned out to be the brake light circuit causing the problem.

zia

check voltage drop when cranking more than 3-4 volt and it will be the starter and it worn,t show up a code anyway

zia

J

Jon

Hey! thats wierd..i put a post up after zia's reply saying thanks..i will advise him..(aslo possibly knackered, gunged up air flow meter) but it's not here..so er..thanks for the help & advice
Jon

A

Anonymous

I'd agree with Jase, sounds like a sticking starter. Don't believe a word Renault says. The missus took her Clio to the main dealer and got a quote for £1800. I fitted a £19.99 sensor and it's been fine for the last year. £1800 worth of work and it wouldn't of fixed it! You'd be better off taking it to Halfords or somewhere.
Get him to look at the starter.

Dunc

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Battery connections themselves tight and ok?
If it ain't a dodgy starter motor it 's probably a dodgy earth.

A

Anonymous

yeah i had same problem, turned out to be starter, motor had it recond and its started everytime no probs