adjusting valve clearance

F

fulingbusen

My GTi-r has mechanical lifters meaning that I have to adjust the claerance myself, are the lash caps on toip of the valves std and replaced in order to get the correct clearance or do I need to grind down the valve itself?

I'm aiming to use 0.25mm as claerance in a cold engine

Any ideas?

N

nav

engine removal

would i need to seperate the gearbox from the engine in order remove engine cheers:doh:

O

Odin

nav said:
would i need to seperate the gearbox from the engine in order remove engine cheers:doh:

No it is removed in one big lump, Engine and box together ;-) .

Rob

P

pulsarboby

0.25 should be hot!

dont do them too tight or youll have probs;-)
better to be a bit noisy than have burnt valves

F

fulingbusen

Ok, thanks. What's a good clearance in a cold engine? 0.15mm?

P

pulsarboby

havent got the cold settings, only hot, but if i were you i would set them at 0.28 cold NOT LESS! as the clearances will be even tighter.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
It was recommended to me by Ian at Hiteq if you were going to build and shim the head cold you should set the exhaust & inlet to 0.15mm.

M

Mondorno

0,14-0,17 ist the right setting. Had mine shimmed to 0,10 about 2 years ago and never had any problems with that, because the clearance will get bigger when hot.

P

pulsarboby

yes there right sorry!
wrote that just before i popped out and brain wasnt in gear:der: will give myself a damned good kicking for being so stupid:doh:

N

nav

valve clearance

i have just re-shimmed my and have gone 0.15 valve clearance inlet and exhaust (cold) would this be ok then or would i have to take hks cams out again an redo, thanks :roll:

N

nav

help

re:prev question does anyone read , the or isit people dont like to reply what shold be the correct valve clearance cold cheers

N

nav

help

sorry i have just read that there is valve clearane and cam clearnce with different adjustemts , soory to sound thick but how to you measure the valve clearance as presume, when you measure the cam clearance the back of cam to lash is measured via feeler blade so how do you measre valave clearance cheers:der:

A

ard1ey

You have the cam lobe in the same position (i.e. the nose pointing away from the rocker) and on the flat shim, just use feeler gauges as normal between the shim and the rocker arm. On the slotted guide you'll need to cut down some feelers in order to get into the contact area. The valve clearance should be 0.21 - 0.26mm (cold).

On re-reading the book, it looks like Nissan tell you to replace the rocker guide (the slotted shim) with a flat one for the purposes of setting the valve clearances and use standard feelers, but that might not be practical for you.

Correct camshaft clearance is 0.14 - 0.17mm (cold), check this first and if it's out of spec. then start playing with the valve clearances. Book says you should be checking at the edges of the cam lobe, not the middle (in the area approx. 3mm from each edge of the lobe).

Hopefully that helps!