advice on a new turbo

A

Anonymous

I stripped off my exhaust manifold and turbo assy last night as i had a large blow from that area , found the blow to be the fact that 4 nuts had come off the exhaust to turbo joint , anyway on further inspection i discovered a very large crack in the turbo all around the wastegate area, possibly causing the lack of perfermance i mentioned a while ago on here.So now ,do i get a second hand turbo unit a recon or an uprated one????? do any of you guys know of places for recon turbos????? im not keen on a 2nd hand unit as u dont know much about its history, i would like to put a bigger turbo on but money is a slight issue and im not 100% on the history of my engine so dont wanna put to much stress on it. really want to get my R back on the road asap , im missing it so much , so please any help is really appreciated.

nismoboy

its quite common for turbo`s to crack around that area.As long as it still holds the boost it should be fine.

as for turbo companies. turbo technics or turbo dynamics are who most peolpe use.

A

Anonymous

also do you think this sorta problem could have been because i have no turbo timer fitted? i do not turn engine off straight away obviously , but you know sometimes you just have to get going .

youngsyp

Not very likely I wouldn't have thought. You don't always have to run the engine on after using the car. You only really need to do this after 'heavy use of the right foot' :lol: If you have ragged the car, just take it easy for the last few miles of the journey i.e. don't use boost and keep the revs low. This is better in the long run as air is still getting to everything and the rad is working at it's most efficient etc...
As for a new turbo, I would go for a standard rebuilt with a ball bearing cartridge and anything else to improve flow and spool up with the standard internals. But, I am only looking for 300 ish bhp :wink: