Advice please

PaulB

you can buy em from the states for £300 cheaper. Look on ebay.com.

The pistons will need to be machined for oil squirter clearance, and the rods will have to use 17mm bearings, or get the tangs machined to use gtir 19mm bearings.

O

Odin

The rod will be 17mm opposed to the gtir's 19mm rod as standard, It can work but you will need the matching 17mm bearings, I would just stick with the standard rod but fit ARP rod bolts.

You could get them shot peened or something, But they are strong enough for the job if fitted with ARP bolts.

Piston wise you could use CP's as long as you get the cut outs machined in for the gtir oil squirter's , They would only set you back about $300 from ebay.

Rob

PaulB

I was under the impression that all the rods for SR20`s are the same width, Eagle and standard. But that the S13 and S14 ones are using a thinner bearing with the tangs in a different position.

Im going to start rebuilding my engine, and theres just something about using the standard cast rod. It cannit possibly be stronger than a forged eagle, and id rather just put them in and have peace of mind.

A

a11ova

what do people suggest piston wise? I want the forged rods for piece of mind more than anything else. cheers for the advice peeps

PaulB

im gonna go for wisecos, but i think for what were after, JE, Arias, Wiseco are all as good as each other.

jocster76

you can still use them rods just means you have to use 200sx crank bearings, iaint found any rods for the gtir that use 19mm theall are 17

JOC

low612

you can acheve 400+ w/stock bottom end no need to . We do this on a na sr20de which has smaller rods. The pulsar has beefier rods . Unless you feel your motor isnt worthy the task or like to spend money 400-500 on stock bottom end no problem

KF79GTIR

je pistons are the better pistons to use as they will score the block less than any other pistons standard rods will take 450bhp all day everyday

gtirx2

I am not sure what you mean by scoreing the block more useing other pistons?But i like the wiseco's i am useing atm they are a good price and they have off set pin holes like the standed pistons so they don't slap when cold like other makes plus they are i think swain coated which i think lets you run tighter clearences than other pistons, which also helps with piston slap.Plus they already have the oil squirter cut out so you can drop them straght in.

bracpan

Some one said that HKS pistons are made by Cosworth is this correct? If so they do tend to know a lot about engine design.
Cheers
Phil

N

newbie2

hks pistons are made by cosworth so are jun pistons.my old greddy pistons and rods are made by carrillo. im now using je pistons as my tuner says they are the best.

EVOBAD

your best bet for pistons are je but buy them from the states alot cheaper ul be paying far to much for hks ther well over priced as for roods kep the strd 1sss & get som arp rod bolt as these are the weak parts on the strd rods ul be good for 400-450 may be a little more

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
jocster76 said:
you can still use them rods just means you have to use 200sx crank bearings, iaint found any rods for the gtir that use 19mm theall are 17

JOC

I use the stonger Billet Steel Rods w/19mm ACL Race Series Bearings..

Rishi

Rishi

oap-r said:
That's probably because he makes more profit on the JE pistons ;-)

True... I know of a certain company who designs and manufactures Rods, Cranks, Cams etc and swears by CP over JE..

To be honest they are all very similar. At the end of the day the guy is only looking for 400 - 500bhp so the HKS, Arias, WISCO, Ross, CP, JE, JUN, Mahle will all be upto the job..

Rishi

Rishi

JE are great pistons! So are the HKS, CP, ROSS, Arias and WISCO!

Rishi