advice please

luke s

Hi I'm after advice I'm looking to buy a gtir don't mind doing machanical work as I was a mechanic 8 years ago'ish lol
Looked at one today from a nice chap the engine has a knock and suspect a spun big end bearing, I'm not a fan of getting the crank ground so is there many sh ones about Iv tried searching around ext but no hope, from stone could it had 2 bar oil pressure, are cranks a pain to get out on these? I'm trying to gauge what's needed ext

Dangerous Dave

You can grind a standard crank down an it will be ok, it's not that much of a pain to get out but if your taking the crank out you might as well put forged pistons in whilst your at it...

oh an if you need a standard crank I'm sure someone on here has one or two ;)

luke s

There's forged pistons and rods in there all ready so cuts a lot of mucking about, how's your car?

Dangerous Dave

There's forged pistons and rods in there all ready so cuts a lot of mucking about, how's your car?

Are you talking about the one that went pop yesterday? If you are it's not very well :( but I knew it was going to happen so I'm not that fussed. Just means I will be in the 205 for a few weeks.

Sounds nd a an easy job to me then mate I would drop the lump that way you can look it all over properly

luke s

Yes bud much damage done?, just weighing it all up if it's worth it as I don't want to drive it so can't tell condition on a lot of things concerns me, I only have a drive, I can't use a Crain on my drive so it's going to be a pain

Dangerous Dave

You drop the lump out the bottom of the car, guess you have a gravel drive?

tbh I've not had a good look at it yet altho I did pull the rocker cover off to find the seal had split in two places, I think I've done a ring so I will be dropping some forged ones in.

Mad

Hi,

I cant give you any advice on fitting / removing but can tell you that a ground crank is just fine if done properly and will hold over 500bhp no problem.