Air con not working!

G

Glenn

I've had my R about 6 weeks now, and the air con doesn't seem to be working. The button lights up but it doesn't get any colder. I appreciate the gas may need recharging etc, but are there any other checks i can do to see if the system is actually working or not???.... in case its not just the gas that needs sorting???
Also the fan only works on number 4. I've changed the switch for about 3 others, so i know it aint that!!
Cheers guys. :)

A

Anonymous

The resistor in the fan motor is dead. Look under the glove box lid, near the kick panel. You should see 2 phillips headed (+) 8mm screws and a big brown plug. Undo them and slide out the card. Cant fix it, get a new one, don't bother with second hand, probably the same. Its common on cars this old.
Did mine about 2 months ago, cost me $95 australian (trade price) don't know what that is in england or where ever you are from. But its not cheep.

A

AZ STE

Make sure on the air con compressor the small spade single wire is connected at the top as this energises the clutch in and out on the compressor get someone to switch the blue button on and off and you should hear it click in and out.

S

Stoned

What does it mean if there is no click?

Before my R went in for repair the aircon didnt work and there was no clicks when I pressed the button. I know it was refilled a year back and the compressor was replaced

J

jasegould

It means the compressor clutch is not engaging, with the aircon off the compressor freewheels. It can be caused by a faulty clutch, or more likely low gas. Pressure sensors stop the aircon from working if the pressure is too low/there is no gas.