Air leaks?

billy187

Right if a car gets mapped with air leaks and then later on down the line you get rid of those air leaks what sort of problems are you likely to see? :? Will it need another full remap?

olliecast

if its after the maf mate, then it`ll be mapped with the amount of air lost in mind. Then when you fix leaks the engine will see more air and therefore run leaner.

Its best to get everything running sweet before the remap. You wouldn`t want to spend £300 on something that`d need doing again

billy187

well the air leaks were sorted out and since then i get a smell of it running rich so think it may be overfueling and also the idle plays around. This only happens from a cold start so after not being driven for a couple of days, but as soon as its warmed up its perfect.

The garage who sorted out the air leaks told me that as it was mapped with air leaks and now they have sorted them out it is going to be slightly overfueling. They seemed to think that everything was perfect and what it needed was another full remap after looking at the power fc but i wanted to make sure first as its currently running over 400bhp.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I read '...another full remap.' as '...another £400 from you.'
I can't help but feel that they should have told you that you had air leaks, and tried to fix them at the time, instead of doing a mapping that they knew they'd have to re-do once the leaks were fixed.
If you've got a power fc can't you adjust the map yourself?

billy187

no its nothing to do with the money, if it needs another remap it will get it, i just want to make sure that a remap will actually sort the problems ive got 8) Anyway i bought the car allready being fully mapped up and working perfect but when the engine was out to replace some coolant pipes the garage told me they had sorted out some air leaks that were there. Since then ive been having the cold start problem. I did take it back to them and after looking over it they told me they had mapped the maf again and that did help it stop running as rich but its still there. They also adjusted the power fc but still its running slightly rich and have abit of play in the idle.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I was listening to Jim last weekend, but not really taking notes...
If I remember correctly, you want it slightly lean at idle (saves on the go juice, and it's not like you're loading it at idle).
You then want the fueling map to match the boost, and the ignition map only needs to change if you're getting some det.

I would say that if the leaks have been fixed, the air flow and boost will be different, and you'll need to adjust the map. However, I thought that you could do it yourself with the Power FC rather than throwing money at it.

billy187

thanks for the info but i dont think id trust myself to play around with the powerfc. May just leave it untill the rolling road day next month and get it sorted properly then....:?