Airbag on a Pulsar??

johnboy

I bought another Pulsar a few weeks ago with a view to spending the winter getting it back to good fairly original condition. While tidying up the loads of redundant wiring under the dash I came across all the bits for a full SRS airbag system. A previous owner had put on an after-market steering wheel so the actual airbag is missing.
As this appears to be a bit of a rare item it seemed it might be an interesting project to try and refit an airbag while I'm doing all the rest. Has anyone got any ideas about what might fit as I expect original pulsar ones are a bit like hens teeth.

whytie

If I crash an other R the air bag will be the least of my worries

The R folds like a deck of cards

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've only seen one gtir with an airbag before.
PM me the chassis number and I'll see if I can find any airbag info ie was it OE or has somebodyfitted it after.

johnboy

Thanks for the replies. At least some of you have heard of them..
Fast Guy - I'll get the chassis number to you tomorrow, it's too late to go and have a look now!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've only seen one gtir with an airbag before.
PM me the chassis number and I'll see if I can find any airbag info ie was it OE or has somebodyfitted it after.
Seconded. - I believe it is a genuine option on some of the later models because it's a full Nissan kit (or it was in the other case), but it's not listed as such in FAST.

It's rare enough that Shalom took an interest and put the pictures on GTiROZ.

johnboy

Interesting to see the pictures on the OZ web site. At least I know what it looks like now.

Chassis No: FBYNRVFNJ4TDADO--B

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Interesting to see the pictures on the OZ web site. At least I know what it looks like now.

Chassis No: FBYNRVFNJ4TDADO--B
That's the model number it says
F- 5 door hatch Are you sure it's not an E - 3 door model?
BY- SR20DE or SR20DET engine
N - 4 wheel drive
R - right hand drive
V - ?
F- 5 speed
NJ4 - is it N14? you might have read it wrong. N14 is the car model.
T - Turbo
Rest of it I'm not sure

Chassis number is RNN14 xxxxxx

johnboy

Sorry - couldn't read my own writing when it came to typing it in.
Should be Model No. - EBYNRVFN14TDADG--B
And the Chassis No. - RNN14
Hope this makes more sense

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've checked your chassis number and if I search air bag it list about 7 components. It will then give me part numbers for said items against your chassis number but "no applicable part number" against my chassis number. So it looks like you have one of 2 Gtirs I've seen with them fitted as standard.

johnboy

It's on a K reg which means it's not one of the latest ones so I wonder why just a very few cars had them fitted. Can you tell the manufacture date from the chassis number as it may not be correctly registered?

It would help a great deal to get hold of a wiring circuit or diagram so i can properly identify all the bits and try to work out how it works. I'll have to do some experimenting with some airbags of about that time from other Nissan cars and see what happens...
Thanks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
. Can you tell the manufacture date from the chassis number as it may not be correctly registered?
It's down as 92/12

All that's listed on FAST is-
Harness air bag room
Wire assy-steering air bag
Control unit diagnosis air bag
sensor air bag
module assy-air bag driver
label air bag
label air bag