any advice?

keastygtir

Hi everyone!

I have a wheel wobble at about 70 mph and i cant get rid of it.

hen i bought the car it had coilovers on which were 2 hard so i replaced them with some KYB super streets. I then had it 4 wheel aligned because it was very toe in and burnt out the outside edges of my front tyres. My tyres now wear evenly but the wobble persists. i have also had the wheels rebalanced 3 times and moved the fronts to the rears etc. The car seems clunky over the bumps which (although passed MOT) I suspected ball joints but i am stumped on the wobble. The car also brakes fine in a straight line.

Help!!

Animaldaz

Aswell as balljoints look at:steering rack, track rod ends, flat spot or other irregularity on tyres, wheel bearings, CV joints and driveshafts (make sure the hub nuts are torqued and split pinned). Struts and top mounts (the 2 strut to hub bolts are tight).

youngsyp

It seems you've been quite unlucky as, wheel wobble is 99.9% of the time caused by the wheels being out of balance. Out of interest, did you have them balanced each time, at the same place ?

I would have said you had a buckled wheel but, as you've moved the wheels around, it's not likely to be that either.

What sort of condition are your brake disks in ?

As above, I'd also check for play in the drive shafts and see if the balancing weights on them have gone missing !

Paul

keastygtir

yeah i had them balanced at a different place the 3rd time, the disks have plenty of meat on them and dont get any wondering on braking etc. I did have the fronts moved to the back last time i balanced them and it was a lot better, but you would think that a buckled wheel would show up on the balancing machine

youngsyp

keastygtir said:
I did have the fronts moved to the back last time i balanced them and it was a lot better, but you would think that a buckled wheel would show up on the balancing machine
Yes it should, or at least the imbalance caused by the buckle would !

I'd tend to rule out the wheels now though and look at the driveshafts and see if the balance weights are still in them !

Paul

keastygtir

Hi all

I still have this problem and I have changed shocks, ball joints, droplinks, drive shaft and tightend my shock to hub bolts. aswell as having it all rebalanced.
The car seems a little better and actually handles really well in terms of balance etc. I coundnt find any play in the wheel bearings however I think they might be noisy but its hard to tell for sure what with the exhaust etc.

One thing I have noticed is that its worse on "dimply" tarmac than new flat stuff.

Any advice would be great!

Also what the recommended tracking settings? toe in or out

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Just a thought, what kind of wheels do you have fitted?

Do the alloys fit the alloy hub correctly, are there any spacers or spigots present?

I've just fitted some 16x7 ET42 alloys to my car and it’s was shall we say challenging, but I noticed some wheel wobble from 65-75mph.

Turned out that the alloy spacers were not the correct fitting and caused the wobbling. After a quick skimming (alloy spacers) they are spot on :thumb:

keastygtir

I have 15x7 enkei irs wrc lightweight alloys offset 35 with correct spigots and no spacers.

I went around and really tightened up the shock to hub bolts on the rear and its really improved, however not perfect yet so i will rebalance everything again and see where its is after.

I think I caused the problem when I changed my shocks originaly by greasing the bolts as they were stiff on the threads. I think the shock was moving on the hub all the time.

Thanks to pulsarboby for recommending I check them.

ps: is that you fubar in eu rouge?