Anyone know anything about mk3 golf’s?

paz

My mum’s golf keeps cutting out at low speeds. Its fine when moving, but when pulling up to lights etc at a reduced speed the engine just cuts out.

Any ideas?

Paz

kyepan

not about that, but my mates fiesta does exactly the same thing when warm. aparently thats down to one of the sensors

and my old rover did this when the stepper motor (automatic choke) died.

paz

:lol: Thanks for the help lads :roll: :lol: :wink:

Anyone else got any ideas? - I appreciate its probably not the GTIROC's area of expertise ;)

Paz

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
She hasn't got one of those economy versions where they designed them with the engine that cuts out at idle (ie waiting in a queue) and then starts again when you press the throttle has she?

I

Innovate Performance

Mate what engine size is it.

If it is a 1600 then the throttle bodies somtimes need cleaning out and reseting.

This will reset the idle motor.

:D :wink:

paz

Fast Guy said:
She hasn't got one of those economy versions where they designed them with the engine that cuts out at idle (ie waiting in a queue) and then starts again when you press the throttle has she?
:shock: Te;; me you're joking?

Innovate - its a 1.4CL I think.

Paz

gtir_john

If it is a 1600 then the throttle bodies somtimes need cleaning out and reseting.

this is the same with alot of older vw engines throttle bodies get full of breather vapour and slighlty jam open the throttle, will need cleaning and basic settings doin, another favorite is the coolant temp sensor, would place my money on the t/b seen as its a lady driver :D

geetee

welcome to German Car and Repair Weekly.

Collect it in only 375 issues starting this Sunday - 1st issue comes with an exclusive statement from the President of the VAG in genuine plastic, saying that 'Everyone knows that German cars are the best in the World'

Exclusive to Del Prado magazine group.

Buy your Mum a Jap car, you know it makes sense.......

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

paz

geetee said:
welcome to German Car and Repair Weekly.

Collect it in only 375 issues starting this Sunday - 1st issue comes with an exclusive statement from the President of the VAG in genuine plastic, saying that 'Everyone knows that German cars are the best in the World'

Exclusive to Del Prado magazine group.

Buy your Mum a Jap car, you know it makes sense.......

Cheers
GeeTee 8)
:lol: I've already told both the mum and the miss-use to go jap, apparently they're ''ugly'' according to the girlfriend and the mother is content with a VAG piece of rubbish :roll: :lol:

Cheers to everyone, I'll have a look into the TB and coolent ideas.

Paz

turblio

Fire & skill said:
could be the idle control valve. best to go here and ask www.eurocarparts.com they have a very good forum there, helped me lots when i had my beemer. and they sell the pares cheap as well :wink:
Good link matey will be ideal for my son jamie he has just got his first car
(a mk111 golf) cheers
Frank

G

gtir4u2nv

a friend of mine had the exact same problem on his l reg 1994 golf 1.4 cl
he was a mechanic at my old place and after weeks of pissings around with bits and pieces he bought a second hand injection unit from a scrappy problem solved car never cut out again :wink:

paz

gtir4u2nv said:
a friend of mine had the exact same problem on his l reg 1994 golf 1.4 cl
he was a mechanic at my old place and after weeks of pissings around with bits and pieces he bought a second hand injection unit from a scrappy problem solved car never cut out again :wink:
Think thats the same model.

My poor mother is going to be buying a new car in spare bits once this is over :lol:

Cheers ;)

paz

I

Innovate Performance

Mate the 1.4 have the same problem with the throttle bodies need cleaning out. come to think of it all the VW suffer from this problem. would do this 1st as it will only cost you time and a can of carb cleaner.

buffalobilla

mate ive got that car aswell, for me it was the automatic choke. and too much carbon build up. u need to get something to flush the system n rev it high to clear the carbon. common problem with the car