Before and after

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
It's been almost 2 years since I fitted my Turbo Dynamics roller bearing turbo and DIY front mount kit. I made up the pipe run myself and used a Skyline R33 intercooler.
I was always impressed with the spool up of the system and would recommend TD's rollerbearing turbo's to anyone. At the time of fitting things I was in a bit of a rush and the turbo was fitted and the car was mapped, job done. I was getting about 330 bhp at 1.2 bar and I was a happy bunny but the one thing that stuck in my mind was I wished I'd taken things a little slower and sorted my pipe run out a little better and then I might get even better spool up.
Well, as some of you know I now have a forged piston rebuild in the car and it's now run in and going to be mapped on Monday 1st Aug. As it's booked in I thought I would take the time to sort the bits I rushed before, namely bits of the pipe run. The main thing that needed sorting out was that I was still using the original Ali turbo compressor elbow and as you can see from the picture below was less than perfect, on close examination you can see how it really strangles the pipe. Anyway I thought I'd have a go at modifying a spare Ali elbow I had. I measured up what I needed and cut the elbow in a couple of places, turned things about a bit then welded it back up and polished the inside. I also made up a new stainless section of pipe run to join up to it as well whilst I was at it. There's a few before and after shots below so you can see how I have changed it.
The change to the way the car drives is amazing although I can't test it properly (as it's not mapped) the turbo spools up about 700 rpm faster, on about 1/3rd throttle I hit 1 bar by about 2900 rpm.

BEFORE......................................AFTER

Just got to get this lot fitted and mapped now:

Power FC Pro
Z32 MAF
Greddy Profec B spec 2
600cc injectors

Please go on to see my "what boost settings" post, here http://bb.gtiroc.com/viewtopic.php?p=255420#255420

ShayneG

In the before pics did Jack the Ripper make them feckin pipes up. It looks like a roller coaster ride :!:

O

Odin

That stuff's bl00dy pricey :shock: :shock: :shock: £45 for 36"'s jesus :shock: .

rob

nismoboy

Dooie Pop Pop

i used a bit of that glass/foil material as one sided heatshield. im gonna lag and tape the inlet pipe and the ic to plenum..eventually :lol: