Big brakes - wheel spacers

A

Anonymous

I recently bought Nick Welch's grey GTIR, and the first thing I've got to sort out is the wheel inbalance due to running 9mm spacers to clear the 4pot brakes.
The 9mm spacers (3x3mm spacers) means that there's bugger-all thread for the nuts to bite on (~5 turns) and the wheels dont align to the hub flange becuase the spigot rings have nothing to locate over.

As far as I can tell, I need to get longer studs (any idea how they are removed?) and fit some spacers with a lip to locate the spigot ring on the wheel over.
Has anyone else solved this one?
I guess the only other solution is to buy a new set of rims, and get the fronts with less offset to help clear the calipers.

A

Anonymous

May have sorted out a fix.....

I have found some almost right 10mm spacers, 10mm longer studs and nuts that are available from R-tec in hatfield/st Albans area. The spacers will need a little machining to fit over the hub, but otherwise it should sort the problem out, and allow the wheels to bolt up central and balanced.

I have no idea how Nick W drove the car like it is, as the nuts cant be torqued up to 100ft/lbs without stripping their threads. I'm surprised the wheels didnt fall off the car when it went round a corner at speed. :!:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The nuts should be 72-87lb-ft torque. That maybe why they're stripping. I still wouldn't want to drive the car in that condition tho, like you say I'm surprised the wheels didn't fall off under load. :shock:

P

PaulG

Recently had to do this with fitting some Wilwoods under some deep-dished Sparco rims... got some 10mm spacers from Demon Tweeks, and ordered some 80mm studs from www.rallynuts.com for a couple of squid each... (same size as scoobies incidently)... easy-ish to fit, just take off the caliper and disc... hammer the oldies off, and hammer the the new one's back in... this can be tricky, i found it easier to hammer to start them, then get the disc and rim on, and pull through with the wheel nut... job's a good un... 8)

JU5TY

I also had the same problem when I got my Hi Spec brakes fitted. The calipers didnt clear my Antera 143 wheels. Ended up selling the wheels, could have gone down the spacer/longer stud route, but it caused more arch rubbing having the wheels spaced out 10mm.

J

John Mc

Hello Manilla,

Sorry it's off topic but where about in Herts are you?

Cheers

John

A

Anonymous

North Herts

I live in a small town called Buntingford....

JT

J

John Mc

Not too far from me mate, I live in Stevenage, shall have to arrange a meet!

Davey

Does anyone know how to work out how much thread you should have to screw the bolt onto? I think its the size of the bolt divided by something?
My brother told me once, but i cant remember what it is,
Fast guy :?: :wink: