big ends knocking changing shells

E

Evo Eater

just found out that my big ends are knocking. can i just change the shells without re grinding the crank. its only a small noise. if i can change the shells on thier own. can i do this without taking the engine out. i've been told that you can drop the sump off and do it that way. any advise.

J

jiw

to gain access you need to drop the downpipe the sumps and baffle plates, you can just to say get in as its tight with the large reinforcement brace, you wont get a micrometer in though to check the journal diameter's for roundness or wear, best find out why its knocking too, oilway could be blocked etc, jeff.

EDIT: nissan requested the number's off the crank when i was enquiring about shell's before, can anyone confirm that this is correct or was i speaking to a dumb y.t.s boy again :?

ashills

they do require them but i just bought what ever i could get quickest and machiners sorted it very easily

E

Eric Yellow

EDIT: nissan requested the number's off the crank when i was enquiring about shell's before, can anyone confirm that this is correct or was i speaking to a dumb y.t.s boy again
They do ask for that, but on my shells there were the part numbers stamped in on the back, so ordering new ones was quite easy..;)

E

Evo Eater

thanks for the info but i managed to stripped it down last night. i got help off my dad, he said i was lucky not to do much damage only the sheels need replacing. and i managed to source those from norris design.