Big Problems!!!

I

IrishR

Hi people ... hopefully someone here can give me some help as I'm running out of ideas!

I was driving my R on fri and was slowing down for a bend from 5th to 4th but i snagged 2nd instead the engine revved out and I lost all power and the car came to a halt. And would not start again.

I checked it was getting fuel and a spark - which it is...
I took out the plugs and they were covered in black soot so I put in new plugs the car managed to start but it was spluttering, it had no power and would not tick over.

I took out these new plugs out to find that they too had been covered in black soot. So the car seems to be getting too much fuel. I checked for an air leak but could not find one anywhere. I then did a compression test ... and each cylinder got between 150-155.

I also drained the fuel tank in case dirty fuel was an issue but this made no difference. The ECU is also not showing any fault codes and the turbo is fine

My current thinking is that when I hit second by mistake the timing chain might have jumped...

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated ...!!

MarkTurbo

5th to 2nd :shock: Ouch :(

To start with i'd take the rocker cover off and check the timing marks all line up :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Any idea what revs you took the engine too?
It could be worth doing a compression test and also pulling the rocker cover off to see if you've broken any rocker arms.

K

kizzyturbo4x4

I then did a compression test ... and each cylinder got between 150-155.
he did. :wink:

might have jumped some theeths on the chain?
check timing alignment..?

O

Olly

sounds like may be timing on a cams out, if you time it up and its out i would fit a new chain if i were you. 8)