Bit of a mishapp!

D

DOT2DOT

Gave my mate a drive in my sunny tonight. He accidently selected a wrong gear and reved it out! Its lost the alternator belt, but its also off cylinders and theres a bit of ticking from the head.
Whats the likely outcome?? Broken rockers? Rockers and clipped valves?? Damaged guides??? How far does damage normally go in this scenario??? I know its clutching at straws untill we lift the rocker cover, but whats the experts (not armchair mechanics) guestimisation?? Looking for answers from the experts here. Rishi your input much valued!! :wink:

kirko

DOT2DOT said:
but whats the armchair mechanics guestimisation?? your input much valued!! :wink:
well i reckon you need a stroker kit and a fuel cut defencer :roll: :shock: :shock:
maybe a bigger turbo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(sorry if this hasn't helped)

D

deslynam

gutted

The ticking will be knackered tappets and/or valves as you suspect.

Whatever, you're going to be taking the head off I reckon :(

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check the plug in that cylinder just incase (but I doubt it)

How high did he rev? I've missed a gear and hit almost 9000rpm :shock: It's still going strong now. :wink:

D

DOT2DOT

Fast Guy said:
Check the plug in that cylinder just incase (but I doubt it)

How high did he rev? I've missed a gear and hit almost 9000rpm :shock: It's still going strong now. :wink:
Dunno mate, i was to busy cr@pping myself at the time to see. The sound would have made vtecs blush! Think ill leave it until after christmas before i strip it. How much do nissan charge roughly per valve / rocker??

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Whip the cam cover off and have a look. I think someone just broke a rocker arm before by over revving. You may be lucky.

J

jiw

More than likely you have just bent/dislodged a rocker arm, also check the condition of the plugs and whilst they are out and the rocker cover is off see how freely the engine turns over and whilst doing this check for overly loose valvetrain components.

If its a bottom end knock you may of spun a big end bearing, my mate did this on his evo 4 by over revving, he drove the car afterwards to get it home and trashed the crank in the process, if this is the case dont drive the car and big end shells are quite accessible with the sump and downpipe off, hopefully it wont of caused this much damage....

if you didnt lock the wheels it cant be that bad :lol:

Good luck :?

D

DOT2DOT

Nah its definetly coming from the head. I would have slashed my mates throat there and then had it been the bottom end! :lol: