Bit of a strange one...

G

GTI-R Kid

I want to reverse the mileage displayed on the odometer of my car. I know it sounds dubious and illegal but read on and you might understand better.

I replaced the factory jap dial pack with a set from a crashed UK car. This means i now have the 150mph speedo & digital clock, but the speedo has over 130k MILES displayed on it. My car on the other hand, has less than 65k miles on it (100k KM) so i'd like to wind back the MPH speedo to display the mileage the car has actually covered. I don't want it displaying over 130k miles when the car has only done half that.

Does anyone have any idea of how i could do this without ending up with the numbers seriously out of alignment? Are there even any companies out there that could do something like this for me?

S

Sunny Nutter

have a good look through the auto pages of the buy and sell, there used to be a few guys advertising such things!

A

AZ STE

Why dont you just put your original odometer in the uK clocks :?:you can pull it apart and realign

Cris

The only way I can think of would be to pull the odo apart and wind the numbers round. You might find that they can be wound forward but not backward.

Not sure about this though.

G

GTI-R Kid

AZ STE said:
Why dont you just put your original odometer in the uK clocks :?:you can pull it apart and realign
Can't as i swapped the dial packs. The UK car might be getting repaired (doubtful) or having the engine swapped into something different which might need a compatible dial pack. :oops:

Cris - its an idea. Might have to have a look to see if its possible. In theory i could wind the clocks on - 900,000 miles! :shock:

A

AZ STE

Think from when I took mine apart the odometer runs off a small motor if you knew the voltage you could leave the motor winding the miles on.

Shaun

:D Hi guy's,while we are on the subject of odometers,just a quick question.When a car has been imported and converted does the odometer clock the miles up in miles or still in km :?: Just sometimes the miles travelled don't seem as many as are clocked.Or is it just me :?:

coxie

i would wish to know this as well...mine is delimited and converted on the speedo face....but is the trip and milometer reading in miles or kilometers

Keira

depending on what convertor/delimiter is in there it should be in miles 8)

Mine's now reading miles

J

J-GTi-R

It depends how it's been done, mine hasn't been converted or delimited, the dealer just stock a mph face on the dial. As a result it reads mph but the odo clocks up in KMs. I adjust mine to the proper mile reading for every MOT so I'm not stuck with MOT certs showing huge miles that are actually KMs.

bengilmore

Rob, as ciaran said look in the buy and sell, i think there is some lad called 'miles away', just that i remember seeing it, but i think its bout €100, not 100% sure though :roll:

J

J-GTi-R

No point spending that sort of money, as adjusting them isn't difficult if you take your time and figure out how everything works. Now I know the method it takes me about 15 minutes for the whole job.