blue smoke

DOCR46x

just bought a pulsar last week everything ok exept after i have been on boost and just ticking along i get a burst of blue smoke out of the exhust . dont get it when i sit and rev it just after boost anyone any ideas whats causing this

M

markwashington

It's more than likely the turbo, What is it, how old is it? however a compression test probably wouldn't go amiss, In terms of still driving it I'd say no, at least not on boost, I don't know what's gone on with your car, it could have just started smoking on boost or been doing it for a while, if it's been doing it for a while don't risk it. get it checked out, it could be something small and you'll be fine or it could be the start of a much more serious problem. It pays (the garage) to check early and nip it in the bud.

welcome to the expensive world of R ownership :doh:

John

is this a big expensive job, will this get worse, can i still run the car. cheers:thumbsup:
Lots of topics with regards to blue smoke if you do a search!

I would be pretty sure your turbos on its last legs so at a minimum your going to be a couple of hundred for a stock used replacement up to £800-£1k mark if you want something with more potential but then you would also need to consider the supporting mods, either way not cheap!

icecool70

If i was you the first thing id do is check for play in the shaft in the turbo which is a easy job. as you look down at your turbo to the right is a metal pipe which joins to a plastic one that runs upto the air filter. undo the metal pipe attached to the turbo which is held on by 2 bolts and remove. see if theres any oil in the pipe or around the turbo then check the shaft for play side to side play and in and out play if theres to much play ie 1.5mm to 2 mm then id say it was prob the answer to your question. im sure i will be corrected if im wrong.
also as markwashington said above do a compression test for piece of mind

PulsarLee

hiya,
when removing the metal pipe from the front of the turbo to check for play, is there any gasket on this 2 bolt flange that needs to be replaced?

Cheers.

Lee