boiling up

R

RUDI-GTIR

i seem to have another problem:doh:(i love my r):der:
ive got water going back into my header bottle after ive been driving.????
ive bought a new rad cap but it still seems to be doing it.
any clues??????????

R

RUDI-GTIR

avnt tried yet lass out in me car. is it simple just a nut to drain out the water or wat ??????

Mr GTiR

Here is how I do it.

Fill the expansion bottle so it’s between the min and max level. Leave off the expansion bottle cap and take off the rad cap. Fill rad with water until it’s about to come out.

Start the engine from cold. When the car is idling the water in the rad will drop. When this happens top up with some more water/coolant mix. Gently squeeze the top and bottom rad hoses to encourage the air/bubbles to come up to the rad. If you look at the rad you should see bubbles coming up to the top. Every so often your water level will keep rising up and down. All you’re looking for is to see when the bubbles stop coming up to the surface.

Once there are no more bubbles wait for the water level to come back up in the rad and place the cap back on. Only do this when the water comes up or else you’re locking in another air bubble trap.

Also, running your car with the heaters on hot and fans on full will encourage the water to circulate round the system.

Hope this helps.