bought the goodies but fitting?????

B

Bumpkin

Hi,
just bought a Blitz dual SBC spec S boost controller, Walbro 255 fuel pump and Eurospec 2000 MPH/KPH converter/delimiter but could do with some tips on fitting.

It was totally standard despite my early assumptions, is there anything else I will need to change ? I think it already has a heavy duty clutch, judging by the multigym like clutch pedal.

What sort of boost/HP can I expect ?

I also fitted a K&N last night but removing the old airbox seems to leave the filter hanging in mid air. For the time being I've secured it with a tie wrap but would appreciate others experience.

I plan to hit out the CAT (its a 92 so don't need it) internals to give more flow but wonder if that will really be enough, or do I need to look at a complete replacement system?

I need to look at the brakes (which are absolute sh!te!) but can't afford caliper/disk upgrades yet. Is there a recommended pad to run with standard ?

Sorry its a lot of questions. Hope you can help.

cheers
John

kyepan

Hi there,

As for brakes, i would reccomend mintex m1144 material pads all round..

also completely bleed the braking system with .51 fluid, and if you can be arsed fit braided goodridge hoses. make sure you check the pistons are not sticking at the rears and use lots of copperslip to keep them quiet.

When i serviced my brakes they were in a terrible state, just changing the fluid alone made a huge difference.

MarkTurbo

Bumpkin said:
I also fitted a K&N last night but removing the old airbox seems to leave the filter hanging in mid air. For the time being I've secured it with a tie wrap but would appreciate others experience.
I've got a blitz induction kit on mine and instead of removing the airbox all together i left the bottom half in place. The airfilter sits in it quite nicely and it probably directs a bit of air to it as well.

Bumpkin said:
I plan to hit out the CAT (its a 92 so don't need it) internals to give more flow but wonder if that will really be enough, or do I need to look at a complete replacement system?
I'd go for a proper cat replacement pipe. Getting rid of the cat is a good start but if you can afford it go for a full exhaust system as the standard exhaust is quite restrictive :wink:

J

J-GTi-R

Also getting the cat off a standard exhaust in a fit state to go back on again will most likely be impossible. Mine was cut off with a grinder when I replace my exhaust, as that was the only way it was coming off.

B

Bumpkin

Thanks for all the replies guys, I was considering refitting the bottom half of the airbox, sounds like a good idea :lol: .

For the CAT, I've no intention of refitting it since the MOT for 92 and before doesn't do a CAT test. I was planning to smash the ceramic inner and just make it a straight through :evil: . My only woory is the lamda sensor :? ?

I do intend to get a full system in time but for the moment I'm spent out on the other goodies. :cry:

cheers
John

MarkTurbo

Dont worry about the lambda sensor. Taking the cat off or making it straight through wont affect it :wink:

Also with the mods you've got i wouldn't run anymore than about 1 bar (about 15 psi) boost. And it would probably be worth getting it to a rolling road to make sure everything is ok if you do turn the boost up :wink:

B

Bumpkin

I've got to work out how to fit it all first :shock: , but was thinking anything over 1 BAR might be pushing it.

I live near Merlin m/sports and Norris designs so will take your advice and get it on a dyno when I've fitted everything, provided I don't screw up fitting it all and blow up the ECU :shock: :shock: :wink:

J

J-GTi-R

For the CAT, I've no intention of refitting it since the MOT for 92 and before doesn't do a CAT test. I was planning to smash the ceramic inner and just make it a straight through . My only woory is the lamda sensor ?
Ah yes, but with mine there was no way it was coming off on it's own and if you are going to smash the inner out of it, you'll still want to put the gutted cat pipe back on. Mine had corroded so badly where the cat pipe met the back of the system, there was no way it was going to be seperated porperly, hence the grinder coming out.

B

Bumpkin

Ah, I see, well fingers crossed mine will seperate, otherwise I'll be calling Mr Mongoose :wink:

Just off to the DVLA office in Bristol to try and speed up my plates, otherwise I'll be attending Japfest in a Mondeo :!: :!: :shock:

A

Anonymous

As long as your car is an import it doesn't matter how new it is in terms of needing a CAT. They won't have the figures for your engine code and won't be able to test it for CAT emissions and will test it under non-CAT emissions! :wink: