BP bastards...

A

Alex

...Are stopping SUL supplies on the Isle of Wight. That means I can now only run my Pulsar on normal unleaded :? or Diesel :roll: I got myself an Aquamist kit though so im hoping I can run the car on NUL with 15% water-methanol without any det. Any ideas? Also with the water injection is it safe-r to run higher boost (IE 1.4 bar) then without the kit running on SUL?

A

Alex

Yes, at the moment they sell diesel, NUL and LRP but LRP is stopping. All the Islands fuel is supplied by the BP depot and they are stopping the SUL. Tesco said they plan to start SUL but I wonder if they have looked into whether or not they can actually do it on the Island.

Dooie Pop Pop

tesco' s are (have already i think) going national with their 99ron fuel :D :D :D i have it at my local store as do others it replaces the lpr pump...i dont doubt you' ll be getting it soon :wink:

A

AJ4

Hi Alex ( its Ross, with the red one ;) )

I think Harwoods are going to tanker in SUL, still up in the air at the moment. The response from BP and Tesco doesn't look good... Good source of info is the Evocars website.

WI is fine to run up to 1.4 bar, but it needs to be setup properly. I run 1.4 occasionally with just a jet change, but mostly 1.2 with a smaller jet. Don't believe what anyone tells you about water/methanol injection, it will give you less power than running without it ( or else it wouldn't work ;) )

Running WI on its own will give less power than running SUL on its own. Its a bit of a compromise, use WI to stop det, or take advantage of the WI to up the boost and advance ( with the risk of det ).

A

AJ4

Aquamist, originally got it when I still had a top mount, changed to front mount, and now going back to top mount again...

Lol @ Stu :lol: :lol: Fortunately I only go 'foreign' at weekends, during the week I live next to an optimax station 8)

A

AJ4

Long story.... ;) Trying to fit a supercharger, and it exits right where the inlet for the top mount would be. Not so much worries about heat or intercooling with the charger as the exit temps are very low ( not blowing through a 900'C turbo anymore :D ), so makes sense to go back to a top mount, a slightly better than standard one though.

A

AJ4

Yeah 1S, nice and simple :D

Back on topic - I don't think much of the people on the Isle of Wight should be too worried about it as I've already said, most of the people moaning about it have non-turbo cars so it doesn't really matter what octane the fuel is... :D I can only think of a handful of cars personally that will be affected, and all those are very high power, very tuned turbo cars, all in the 300 - 500 bhp range.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running 95 octane fuel. A well tuned 95 engine is probably quicker than a 97 running on an untuned, overly rich base map.

If your still worried about it, and don't want to remap for 95, there are lots of other ways to stop det. Det is caused by high cylinder temps, so anything you can do to get them down is going to help. Fit water injection, fit a bigger rad, fit a better intercooler, lower the boost slightly, buy a more efficient turbo or intercooler, increase oil capacity, fit a bigger headgasket to lower compression, use an exhaust recirculation valve....

I think the petrol thing on the Isle of Wight is the usual big fuss over nothing. Most people don't actually need 97 fuel, and even if they do its not the end of the world. To be honest, if people are using 97 fuel only to stop det, thats a sign that its not a very well tuned engine ;) Its amazing how people will spend thousands and thousands on ecu's and turbo to increase power, but won't spend a couple of hundred quid to change to the lower octane fuel....

<rant over>

:D:D:D