BP ultimate vs Shell Optimax Query

J

jaigtir

right guys here only the isle of sheppey(where kieron wants to move too) the shell petrol station has been replaced by a BP one. Now my problem is that the nearest shell station is about 14 miles away.

Is using bp ultimate the same as optimax?

W

wizgti

Both my local shell garages have changed too :evil: I now have to drive 10 miles to my nearest garage but it's worth it cos i really really really hate ultimate! I reckon my car would run better on diesel than that $hit :!:

J

jasegould

According to my local bp their stuff is only 97 ron wheras optimax is 98

kyepan

was told last night by a cossie owner that ultimate is 101 ron.. but remember a post on here saying otherwise.. "only 101 ron in france/europe" if i remember rightly. he said he phoned bp and asked himself.. but then who trusts customer service operators answers anyway.

Timur 008

[quote="a cossie owner that ultimate is 101 ron...[/quote]

he is talking out of his cheeks :roll: - over here Optimax is the highest ron fuel going at 98 to the JP ones which are 100ron! - i wished he was right though :(

J

J-GTi-R

I tried Ultimate a couple of weeks ago after a mate swore blind that his car ran better on it. My conclusion was the car idled worse, didn't quite feel as fast, popped and banged more (acutally a bit of a bonus!!) and used lots more of the stuff. I won't be using it again...

G

GazTi-R

Just got this back from the BP careline...

More Performance:Less Pollution

Dear Gary

Thank you for your query received in this office regarding BP Ultimate fuel.

The RON (Research Octane Number) for BP Ultimate Unleaded is guaranteed 97. For Performance vehicles it is also helpful to know the MON (Motor Octane Number). This is where the Antiknock quality is tested at full throttle and High engine speed, and part throttle and low&high engine speeds. The MON for Ultimate Unleaded is guaranteed 86, however it is typically higher, upto 87.5.

BP Ultimate burns more efficiently and cleans your engine as you drive to deliver sharper acceleration and improved responsiveness while producing less harmful emissions. Compared with ordinary unleaded, the benefits of BP Ultimate come from the properties of both the base fuel and a number of other special components added to the formulation. However, don’t forget that BP Ultimate is the name for two new fuels - one diesel and one unleaded and the formulations for each are different.

Thank you for your interest in our new advanced fuels.

Yours Sincerely

BP Customer Care

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ultimate and Super unleaded are 97ron, Optimax is 98ron. I've run on all 3 and noticed absolutely no difference in performance between them. It was only the 2 separate tanks of Ultimate tho as that's all I could get on the M1. I have heard reports of people having problems with it, but I didn't.

I've used bp ultimate quite a few times and I don't think it ran as well at it does on optimax, certainly no faster or better economy, think i'll stick with optimax from now on.

J

jaigtir

right, better stick to optimax, oh well give me an excuse to driv the car, when it finally is up and running. :(

Will kill a quater of a tank coming back home, lol, oh well...... :wink:

A

Anders

Yep,

Called BP Uk a while back to confirm its only 97ron. I believe Optimax is in fact 98.6ron.

A

Anonymous

agreed BP is shite.
I had to put sme ultimate in the other day and car ran like a pig.
hesitated, was lumpy and not happy.

Optimax all the way.