brake ducts

mohsan

the brake ducts in the bumper are no good,as ive clearly seen how impracticle they are,no where near the brakes,so what was the point of them! can someone help or tell me is their a way to redirect the air?
or is this just left alone?

geetee

They do direct a bit of air in the general direction.

I've left mine off - couldn't be arsed to fit them back on.

You could modify them with a bit of flexi piping to push the air at the back of the wheel.... dunno if it's really worth it.

I'm probably gonna mod my passenger side one to become a cold air feed into the engine bay.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

youngsyp

Most people are using at least one of them for an air feed to the airfilter. Thinking about it, I don't think they would ever work properly as the back of the disc, where they are aimed, has a stone guard on it :? stopping any air hitting the disc surface !

mohsan

thats right

thats right,as much as i love the r cant understand why nissan made it so im practicle.its like every r is a faulty car leaving the production line. i gota rate the mazda 323 gtrs for having fogs as standard and a rolling bearing turbo,as well as a front mount as standard,tho its quite a similar car.
i cant wait to have my r sorted,yeh i just took my brake ducts off also and will most probably make a cold air feed also,near the brake duct,but ivefitted fogs in my brake ducts looks fantastic,like factory standard

geetee

As standard they do just seem to direct air at the tyres.....

Maybe it was a homologation thing??

mohsan

yeh they do seem kinda like to the tyres,which still aint no good.its like a finished product. thats why i feel that r owners in todays world have this job of finishing off the product. i really do love the forum, learnt so much

O

one Gti-R

The brake ducts work,

Sometime the little things make big differences.

They do make a difference in my opinion, I had them on an use to take my car through an old twisty highway and never had any brake problems,

I took the ducts off because I thought they were useless as well daily driving the car was fine but after 10km of hard driving through a twisty road the brakes would start to over heat, to the point where I would slow down and end my run.

I put the ducts back on to see if they made a difference and I can comfortably finish the 20km strech without any braking issues.

I believe they are not designed to push air onto the discs themselves. but
they are there to feed the wheel arch with cooler aid to keep the genral area cooler.

They also feed air onto the rubber brake lines, as you would be aware these lines expaned and contract under different heat. Braided lines would solve this problem.

well thats what I have come up with.

So in my experience the ducts are extremely useful.

mohsan

mate

mate if you say so,never helped my car cool down after a run either,ive always had to put an end to my runs,and ive always had the brake ducts in!
braided hoses yeh made a difference,so i suppose wont need the brake ducts anyway if they aint helpin me