Brakes help please

ki_saj_ng

I had just written out an essay of a post but lost all the writing trying to submit, damn. i will re-write but no-where near as long as the last.

The brakes on my R are not so fantastic as they are fairly standard, the front discs are Red-dots 257mm 20 grove vented discs. Calipers, lines, fluid and pads are standard to my knowledge. The car is running 290bhp @ 1.0 bar so does need some stopping power as at the moment the brakes fade after a couple goes braking hard.

I have ordered some mintex fast road brake pads, should be with me mid-week and i just wanted some info on what performance brake fluid i should use, and is it worth getting some brake lines to while im at it. Also would you recommend anything else.

Im not looking to spend TOO much on sorting out these brakes just yet as i am a little broke after the first month of uni life in london.

thanks guys, all replies will be appreciated greatly.

saj

mohsan

standard brakes

standard brake are shite!
yep you wana get the goodridge brake line kit. brake fluid i think dot 4,and pads,yeh mintex are tops,discs you wana go for the hispec ones that way you can keep your original caliphers,and yeh they work!

skiddusmarkus

You can get larger discs without swapping the caliper.Rally Design used to list a 285mm kit for around £150(not sure if that was +vat)and Hispec do a similar kit too.They'll help a fair bit and you won't have wasted your money on the pads.

youngsyp

You will notice the difference braided brake lines make instantly. The feel and response will be much better. One of the best mods to make to brakes, on any car. As for fluid, it depends if you have abs or not. DOT 5.1 fluid is specifically designed with abs systems in mind. If you have abs, use a high temperature variant of this. If not, use a high temperature DOT 4. I think AP Delphi offer one of the highest temperatue DOT 4's on the market and, it is very reasonably priced.
If you have some spare cash, an increase in rotor size is desirable. Again, the difference made will be noticable. I have a 308mm grooved Godspeed kit running the standard calipers with braided lines, and Pagid fast road pads front and rear. The brakes are outstanding now. I hit them hard once and was shocked with how much speed they shaved off in the instant I touched the pedal. I haven't experienced fade yet and, I have been on some spirited drives with an owners club recently to really make them work.
As for the standard brakes, I used to find them good but, did have a few scary moments with them :oops:

MarkTurbo

youngsyp said:
As for the standard brakes, I used to find them good
:shock: :shock: :shock: You must have been driving round in some cars with s**t brakes if you think the standard R ones are good :lol: :lol: :lol: