brakes problem i think

Godzilla

i noticed that when i slam on or push pedal down i only get it half way then nothing still as a rock , so in the event of someone pulling out infront of me etc i would definalty hit em i think. do u think i got some air in the system (not spongy just like a wall ) shoukd i get them bled . its had new brake pads and disks recently so cant be them . cheers

Godzilla

not totally standard it has grooved disks on front and I think yellowstuff pads surely even standard setup wouldn't feel like when u press the pedal with no power totally stiff ,they do work just not as good as I think they should ,

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Godzilla said:
i only get it half way then nothing still as a rock
Bit confused with that comment? :noidea:

Have you no braking force when pushing the brake pedal?

I'd certainly bleed the system fronts and rears and also allow the pads to bed in; however it almost sounds like the servo has stopped working or perhaps there is a blockage in the system (hence bleed the system)

Any warning lights on the dash, such as the ABS?

As Geoff says, standard GTiR brakes are poo! :lol:

Godzilla

what I mean is that the brakes work fine until Pedal gets halfway down then doesn't move like it's stuck ,also the disks look like they have about 50-60 grooves on em , does feel like a blockage thinking about it , il try and get em bled at weekend

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Could well be blocked.

If you know what your doing check your calipers for damage or obstructions.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The brake pedal shouldn't go all the way down like the accelerator or clutch if that's what you mean. If it does, start worrying.

There should be abit of free play at the top of the pedal travel and then when you press it, it should be firm.

Are you brakes working? ie do they slow you down fast enough or not?

I have the stock set up still and my pedal is quite solid, but they stop me as well as I could expect from the stock set up.

Godzilla

fast guy- thats what mine are like bit of play then firm but then dont move , they do slow me down but not as fast as id expected so if ur giving it some they will probably be useless really.

i tried it before had a marker (lamp post) got to about 2 car lenghs behind it and slamed on from 40 and just about stopped obviously i was on the road so wouldnt have hit it just gone past it, does that sound right

GTIR-LOZ

you shpould be able to lock your brakes if you cant then you have a problem as abpove sounds like the servo is on the way out to check pump the pedal with the car off when it gets hard keep the pressure applied and start the car the pedal should sink towards the floor pretty much 3/4 of the way slowley if it doesnt sink then the servo is faulty if it sinks too fast or you can get a solid pedal then the master cylinder is at fault

Godzilla

GTIR-LOZ - just tried that and it works as u say exactly but only goes half way fot 3/4 , think it could just be blocked or any more sugestions to try.

Godzilla

not yet mate gonig to ave to be sometime next week as a guy i no will sort it out cheap as he owns his own garage, get it done for a tenner or something