Brakes

nismoboy

Is it possible to to get four pots calipers for standard discs set up :?: And if so where from and how much :?: cheers nis.

MarkTurbo

I expect you can but you'd probably still get brake fade cos of the small disc. Ideally it would be best to get some bigger discs as you get less heat build up :wink:

Dont tell me you've got 350 bhp and still got the standard discs :shock: :lol:

S

samellio

if your going to drive it hard the standard discs will warp :cry: very little point in changing the callipers and not discs..

nismoboy

Its not driven hard for long periods of time just now and again so just uprated calipers is what i want. Where can i get a lightweight billet 4 pot caliper and brackets to fit the standard discs etc.??

zia

Its not driven hard for long periods of time just now and again so just uprated calipers is what i want. Where can i get a lightweight billet 4 pot caliper and brackets to fit the standard discs etc.??
i wouldn,t bother mate you,ll warp the disc,s in notime due to the pressure applied with four pots and really throwing your money away.

zia

kyepan

um if i remember correctly standards are 267 and 285's will go under a decent 15" wheel...i am probably wrong but i think somone fitted 300mm discs under a 15 too.. but they may have shaved bits of the caliper.
(decent as in it has good clearance around the rims and no dodgy bling bits or bling moulding) 8)

nismoboy

zia said:
i wouldn,t bother mate you,ll warp the disc,s in notime due to the pressure applied with four pots and really throwing your money away.

zia
well if thats the case then 280mm are barely bigger than standard so they`ll warp too.

Dooie Pop Pop

kyepan said:
um if i remember correctly standards are 267 and 285's will go under a decent 15" wheel...i am probably wrong but i think somone fitted 300mm discs under a 15 too.. but they may have shaved bits of the caliper.
(decent as in it has good clearance around the rims and no dodgy bling bits or bling moulding) 8)
shaved calipers :shock: :lol: thanks mate, did a few searches and hispec got a some good comments

kyepan

nismoboy said:
zia said:

zia
well if thats the case then 280mm are barely bigger than standard so they`ll warp too.
nope.. your wrong.. sorry to piss on your little fire here.. it may only be an extra 13mm yes..... but thats not really the point.. do your maths and it works out to make quite a difference

piRsquared 267 disc has surface area of approx 530cm on one side
pirsquared 285 disc has surface area of approx 637cm on one side
so thats 20% extra surface area to radiate heat through. and 20% ish more metal to cool. don't have the latent heat capacity of the disc material to hand.. to calculate the exact ammount more heat that can be absorbed by the disc but.. thats quite a bit of extra cooling.

but when you think about it, only a small ammount of the disc is open to the air the rest is hidden in the bell, so the difference in ammount of disc to open to air could be much higher like 30-40% plus.. with the same true of the ammount of metal available to heat which is open to the air.

plus the better calipers applying the force further out using four pistons.. so your effective clamping torque is higher too.

It makes a massive difference... ask anyone with 285mm discs.. of which there are many on here.

Like i said before brakes will let you live longer.

8)