bubble bubble toil and...

Dooie Pop Pop

trouble :cry: put the first coat of laquer on my wheel and its kinda gone bubbly :x cant understand why. i cleaned it before i painted it with soapy then fresh water. im using the same brand paint and laquer cant understand why it seems to have reacted, spose im gonna have to strip it back now :( any idea' s anyone

D

Dee 1

Paint

How long did you leave it before spraying the laquer as if you spray it too soon it can react :x

JU5TY

Had the spray can been left somewhere at ‘room temperature’?

If a spray can is to cold it can cause the paint to bubble slightly.

J

jasegould

The lacquer should be applied over a WET base coat. If you let the base coat dry off completely it will bubble (well 2 pak will).

Spray the colour (base coat) and let it flash off for 5 - 10 mins, then put the lacquer straight over the top, leave it too long between coats and you get problems.

Jay

Websnowbo

Just out of interest Jase, can you flat the base coat down with P2000 to get rid of imperfections with base coat and laquer?

Dooie Pop Pop

jasegould said:
The lacquer should be applied over a WET base coat. If you let the base coat dry off completely it will bubble (well 2 pak will).

Spray the colour (base coat) and let it flash off for 5 - 10 mins, then put the lacquer straight over the top, leave it too long between coats and you get problems.

Jay
paints straight out of a can but i guess you r right thts probably what did it :oops: gonna flat it back re apply a coat of black then laquer after 5 min. cheers J

J

jasegould

Just out of interest Jase, can you flat the base coat down with P2000 to get rid of imperfections with base coat and laquer?
Not sure, I know with small imperfections you can flat them out after the base has flashed off before applying the lacquer, i think it depends on how good a painter you are aswell :? :wink:

Im shit so I couldnt do it LOL, just know a bit about it frtom when i worked as a panel beater

J

jasegould

paints straight out of a can but i guess you r right thts probably what did it gonna flat it back re apply a coat of black then laquer after 5 min. cheers J

Make sure you give it a good flat, and do a little test area first because sometimes the paint can react on the edge where the bubbles have been flatted out.

D

disco dave

no u cant falt down base coat as it will fuck up all the base coat then when u laquer it it will look fucked u must never flat base coat and u must let teh base coat dry mate other wise t wont dry properly let it dry for 15 to 20 mins then apply laquer mate if u still have probs give me a call on 07985467926 dave
www.hybridpaintworks.com