buying an R -

D

_dave_

ok first off read all the buyers guides on the site i could find! so dont direct me there!

im lookin for an R, in GREY! black isnt a problem, i will have 2500 to spend (I know it isnt much) but hey.

found an R with 110k miles on the clock, from what the owner has said it has been maintained well etc all oil changes etc, but its still 110k.. what are these cars like with high mileage??

would it be best looking for an R with around 60-80k on it, this R has a good spec the one with 110k but i wouldnt mind a standard one with lower mileage

what you guys think!

Gray

Save yourself time and money and buy a well looked after low mileage R for around 4k.
2.5k will get you a dog and you'll spend thousands fixing it.

D

_dave_

ive seen some ok ones for around that price that havent been modified. is 110k not worth buying then?

Gray

You can't tell if it is ok or not, gearbox could be on its way out, or the turbo or the internals. Luck of the draw really. If I was going to buy one I wouldn't buy one with 110k on the clock.

antgtir

Save the money, if you where thinking of getting uprated parts for the R once bought then save the money and spend more on buying one that has had most the parts fitted, that way you are starting off in a good position and wont have to spend £k's to get the R to where you want to be power wise.

Ant.

D

_dave_

i wasnt too worried about uprating the parts for a while as it would have been ok standard.

my friend has offered me his for 2k with a broken clutch, this garage in bopps post say they can do it 175 if i supply a clutch. or 285 for a standard gtir clutch. they do them all the time apparantly.

ill look for a lower mileage'd car then as i dont want to buy one thats gonna die, and besides if i do buy a cheaper pulsar ill take someone (bopps :) ) with me who has a good knowledge of pulsars!

D

_dave_

no i havent! lol. my 2500 is what i can afford without loaning again from the bank. someone who owns a pulsar and is good with engines etc should have an idea if its gonna die when i buy it surely!

i will only buy one that is running fine! wont buy one cheap and fix it up!

marcymarc

_dave_ said:
no i havent! lol. my 2500 is what i can afford without loaning again from the bank. someone who owns a pulsar and is good with engines etc should have an idea if its gonna die when i buy it surely!

i will only buy one that is running fine! wont buy one cheap and fix it up!

Mate, i think you will find most of the Rs what are really cheap.....are cheap for a reason.
£2500 is not a suitable enough amount to buy one of these cars in the condition you seem to expect.

The thing is your basically wanting a decent engine, decent bodywork, decent interier but arent prepared to pay decent money, it doesnt make sense, im not being nastly or trying to have a go at you ...im just saying.
I mean fair enough if you said "yeah ive got my £2500 , but ive also got a grand tucked away for unexpected repairs"

YOU CANNOT BUY AND MAINTAINE A PERFORMENCE CAR ON A SHOE STRING BUDGET , BEEN THERE , SEEN THAT AND GOT THE T-SHIRT! :thumbsup:

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
when he says money set aside he means just incase something happens, you never know when an engine is going to blow - you normally have an idea if its going to go but its always best that you have extra cash, e.g - you may need a new clutch or any new replacement bits. The worse thing is buying a new car & something goes.

D

_dave_

yeah i understand both of your comments. well if a problem arises i can sort out the money to fix it, but that would involve borrowing and paying back which i dont mind doing, but feel a bit unfair. as i am currently paying off a loan at the moment i wont get another lot out, but i may overdraw myself and pay that back steadily to get a gtir maybe for 3-3.5k... would this price region be better for an R, thing is though even if i buy a 4k R who is to know if the engine is going to die? the 2k one might last forever! lol

marcymarc

Fire & skill

Vintage member
i'd say best bet is to go and look at it, it could very well be a bargain:- there is also a fair bit of that 110k could be in kilometres so may be a lot less than you think.

but like has been mentioned on here its one thing affording to buy it and its another affording to keep it.

the other one with the clutch - DONT fit a std clutch back in, complete waste of time and effort, ever heard the saying "spending good money after bad".

its up to you mate.

oh and dare i ask - how old are you?

marcymarc

Fire & skill said:
the one in the link has had a fight with a chav and lost!! oooooooooooh that bootlid must die!!!

Check that one out that is two down on the link , looks much better than the other.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
marcymarc said:
Check that one out that is two down on the link , looks much better than the other.

now thats more like it!! - that looks like a good one :-D

so many to choose from down that way - if i look up here i have to travel near on 200 miles to get a decent one

D

_dave_

yeah there are a lot down this way

im 20.. yes your all going to say about insurance but my insurance is run through a company fleet policy so whatever car i want is quoted 540 per year :D at 19 i had a 250bhp MR2 Turbo hehe

ill have a good look round, wont buy just the first old one, will scout around and go see a few and decide between