Caliper Pistons

Hi,

Was doing my brakes today, replacing pads discs and stripping calipers down. Front went fine, popped pistons out, put them in the lathe, and cleaned them up with 15 micron paper, use it at work for finishing the journals on cranks.

Got to the back calipers and oh dear! piston totally seized up, just got the piston out now, but its seen better days, half way up is totally rusted up, to bad to true up in lathe.

Can you buy new pistons instead of the whole caliper? I know you can get seal kits. Everything else is fine, just the piston! dont really want to pay £100 for a new caliper :(

Thanks,

Gaz

P

Pete

you do know that the front brake calipers pistons are different from the rear the front push in and out the rear screws out ? and yes am just checking?? :-D :-D

Ahhhhhh, that might explain the snapped threaded bolt attached to piston when I got it out!

Only joking :) yeah it had seized on the metal clip, between the rubber seal and the outer boot.

Cheers Stumo for the part numbers.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I can get get those pistons all assembled with a seal kit at near half price, let me know if your interested.

Sod it! just bought a new caliper, being delivered on Tuesday. Couldnt get piston to screw back onto threaded bar, started to screw but then kept getting stuck, looks as though there is a problem with the thread, prob another reason why it couldnt adjust, and brake pads crumbled.

Thought about getting a new piston for it etc, but not sure if the piston thread is the prob, could be caliper side. So to save loads of expense got the last caliper in stock at:

http://www.speedways.co.uk/c1-bca2332-i10585.html

Happy days, off to do the drivers side now, c what surprises there are on that side!!

Steve :- still might need the kit you said about for the drivers side, could you send me a price for it please mate.

Cheers

Gaz