Can anyone be bothered....

J

jasegould

..to explain to me what a fuel cut defender does :oops: . I fitted an exhaust to my mates Starlet Turbo and it now needs a FCD. It wont cause any additional problems like increased boost/fuelling probs will it??

Thanks

M

memski

Just removes the fuel cut iirc. Wires into the ecu and keeps the fuel coming at higher boost, something our R's don't need :D

A

antilag

as fare as i am aware they r bad news as the fuel cuts on a car for a reason its to stop the car running lean.a fcd stops the cut but gives u no more fuel so your running lean.for the same money get a chip or pay a little more and get a safc or summin

J

jasegould

All A fuel cut defensor does is lean your car out, that is it, you get fuel cut when your injectors hit max duty cycle, so it leans the car out, not that safe.
Got this from an EVO forum....not good :(

But saying that the only reason the car needss one is because its had a new performance exhaust and the fuel cut only comes on at very high revs and the boost hasnt changed so maybe itll be ok?? :?:

S

Sirnixalot

a fuel cut cuts fuel after a certain boost level. The computer doesnt have any fuel or timing maps after this boost level. IF you removed the fuel cut then the computer is running the highest fuel and timing map it has. For instance the starlets fuel cut is 12 or 13psi....after that it cuts the fuel. IF you remove the fuel cut and run 16psi then without any other fuel mods the ecu will be preoviding the 13psi fuel maps for 16psi....the motor will run lean and blow something.

J

jasegould

But the only mod is the exhaust, the boost should still be controlled by the ECU or actuator :?:

A

antilag

no mate putting a free flowing exaust affects the boost theres no back pressure

J

J-GTi-R

FCDs are really only a good idea on cars like my brother's where he has a fuel cut at 1 bar (323 GT-X), but has an S-AFC and it's mapped for higher boost. He can safely run more boost, but the ECU won't let him, so he had to by-pass the fuel-cut (actually I did it, as a certain tuning company were too stupid to figure it out).