Can the Quaife be fitted in situ??

D

Dee 1

I have got a price from a local gearbox builder round the courner from me and he said he has loads of R`s but never fitted the quaife..
He also told me he does them in situ???

What do you recon?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've heard that there's some machining might be needed when fitting it, maybe someone who has one can say for certain. Did you get any instructions with it?

A

Anonymous

Dee 1 said:
I have got a price from a local gearbox builder round the courner from me and he said he has loads of R`s but never fitted the quaife..
He also told me he does them in situ???

What do you recon?
i reckon this can`t possibly be a serious question :shock:

D

Dee 1

Yes i know there is machining to do and they give you good detailed drawings which will be done at enginering workshop..

But the dude was serious about not droping the engine and box :shock:

A

Anonymous

Dee 1 said:
Yes i know there is machining to do and they give you good detailed drawings which will be done at enginering workshop..

But the dude was serious about not droping the engine and box :shock:
can`t possibly be done.just how would he be able to see/test/set up all the components in the box without taking the box out the car.

there is also a certain amount of machining to be done if the installation is to be 100%.

think he`s maybe got his cars mixed up or we need to get some of that good sh%t he`s smoking :lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
He's possibly looking at just taking the gear case off and accessing it that way. That might be ok for some stuff, but at a guess, fitting a new gearset would involve some shimming for endfloat or whatever and I can't see that being easy in situ.

D

Dee 1

it did sound a bit dogey to me thats why i`ve asked to question :)

ashills

if u had a dummy box to make it up in then used the same end case it may work as this is what i thought of doing when my quaiffe locked up i was gonna just slot the standard internals back in to get the car running but decide against it

zia

if he can it be a flippin miracle :lol: how would he take the selector out with the indivual detent ball falling apart?
remove the primary shaft without knocking it out from bell housing? remove and rechecking all bearing on primary and layshaft? check tolerances?

zia

P

paulrandy

Yes it can all be done and the selectors and detent balls are all very easy to do zia :wink: The only thing that cant be done easily is shimming the input shaft like fastguy says. You can get around it by drilling the end casing and fitting a screw in cap or frost plug afterwards. I wouldn't really recomond it personally, if i was fitting a £1600 gearset i'd want the box on a nice CLEAN bench to check and fit everything. I'd also want the box chemically cleaned before fitting the gearset too.