Car feels like it's on ice!

A

Adamantium

Over the last few days I've noticed a very strange (and worrying) problem with my Pulsar...

Driving in a straight line, 30mph limit, slightly damp road conditions - for a split second I suddenly get that feeling the car isn't moving in the same direction as the steering wheel!? :shock: (same sorta feeling u get when u hit some black ice for example) although the car didn't seem to actually slide anywhere and carried on as normal afterwards, it just felt like I'd lost all feeling through the steering?

Ever since then I've noticed it doing the same thing sporadically, seemingly more often when coming off the gas (again, at low speeds). It's always just for a split second and so far only at slowish speeds. (although I'm very reluctant to drive at any sort of speed tbh - just limping it to and from work atm)

In addition to the above, it seems I'm getting a similar problem when I go round a roundabout... Any sort of acceleration with the wheels at half lock seems to produce scary amounts of understeer! :? It's not happening at every roundabout i go round, but enough of them to make it a major problem. Only seems to happen when turning to the right as well...

I haven't had the chance to test this properly yet (need to find an empty carpark!) but as I'm sure you can imagine - I wanna get to the bottom of this asap!

Any ideas much appreciated.

Adam.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Odin

I had some very similar experiences when I first fitted my coil overs, It turned out that the tracking had been set wrong on the passenger side of the car, Have you curbed it or hit a big pot hole lately ?....

I'd get the tracking and tyre condition checked first.

Rob

A

Adamantium

Whacked a large pothole the other day actually...
Checked all the tyres yesterday - loads of tread on all 4.

Didn't realise the tracking being off could cause such dramatic effects!? I'll go get it checked... Cheers Rob.

antgtir

Also get them to check the lower arms and steering rack ends etc as this can cause funny handling issues.

You can knock out your tracking by bumping up kerbs at slow speeds or even going over speed bumps hardish, it is very easy to do.

Ant.

youngsyp

I'd go with Rob's theory of the toe alignment being out.

Last time I changed my track rod ends, I experienced the same thing !

A

Adamantium

Paul, where do you get ur tracking done... Half the place's I've seen round here can't do 4-wheel alignment.

O

Odin

Adamantium said:
Paul, where do you get ur tracking done... Half the place's I've seen can't do 4-wheel alignment.
You wont really need to get a full alignment done if you've just knocked out the front tracking, Anywhere can do that for you.

Rob

A

Adamantium

Odin said:
You wont really need to get a full alignment done if you've just knocked out the front tracking, Anywhere can do that for you.

Rob
It was the rear passenger side wheel that slam-dunked the pothole...
Oh yeh, and the car has started pulling sometimes to the right, sometimes to the left! (another symptom of fooked tracking I see)

O

Odin

Adamantium said:
It was the rear passenger side wheel that slam-dunked the pothole...
Oh yeh, and the car has started pulling sometimes to the right, sometimes to the left! (another symptom of fooked tracking I see)

Oh well you had better get the whole lot checked :doh: , Better safe than sorry.

But make sure you check all the suspension over properly, You never know you may of bent something.

Rob

youngsyp

Adamantium said:
Paul, where do you get ur tracking done... Half the place's I've seen round here can't do 4-wheel alignment.
This is where I get mine done matey: http://www.jpsmotorsport.co.uk/mainindex.html

The guy is a perfectionist. I went in there with specific settings and he got them all bang on what I asked for, not even a minute out on any of them. He's not afraid to spend some time to get it right either.
They're also the cheapest place (bar Kwik Fit) to do a full alignment, using the latest Hunter machine. From memory, it was £80 plus vat.

That Kwik Fit I told you about have the same machine and will do it for £80 inclusive.... unfortunately, the operator doesn't seem to understand how to get the specific alignment groups right. :doh:

It'll cost you £20 plus to get the front toe set up, with basic equipment so, you might as well get a full alignment done buy someone who know's what they're doing, for not a huge amount more.

Paul

A

Adamantium

youngsyp said:
This is where I get mine done matey: http://www.jpsmotorsport.co.uk/mainindex.html

The guy is a perfectionist. I went in there with specific settings and he got them all bang on what I asked for, not even a minute out on any of them. He's not afraid to spend some time to get it right either.
They're also the cheapest place (bar Kwik Fit) to do a full alignment, using the latest Hunter machine. From memory, it was £80 plus vat.

That Kwik Fit I told you about have the same machine and will do it for £80 inclusive.... unfortunately, the operator doesn't seem to understand how to get the specific alignment groups right. :doh:

It'll cost you £20 plus to get the front toe set up, with basic equipment so, you might as well get a full alignment done buy someone who know's what they're doing, for not a huge amount more.

Paul
Thanks Paul,
Car booked in for full alignment Saturday morning.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Counter argument, check your suspension components before the tracking because if something like your ball joints or track rod end is fecked then once they're changed you'll only have to get the car aligned again ;-)

Maybe just ask the garage to do it before they do the tracking

O

Odin

campbellju said:
Counter argument, check your suspension components before the tracking because if something like your ball joints or track rod end is fecked then once they're changed you'll only have to get the car aligned again ;-)

Maybe just ask the garage to do it before they do the tracking

I believe I already covered this matey ;-) :doh: .

Odin said:
Oh well you had better get the whole lot checked :doh: , Better safe than sorry.

But make sure you check all the suspension over properly, You never know you may of bent something.

Rob

Rob

stumo

Oh well you had better get the whole lot checked , Better safe than sorry.

Rob, i don't think you did cover it :doh: :der: :doh: :der: :doh: :der: you only mentioned bent stuff, not worn out stuff

dumbass:thumbsup:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
It was more at Adam than you Rob. He's the one who's booked his car in for a full alignment without knowing if its the problem ;-)

Last edited:
A

Adamantium

Thanks everyone...
Don't worry - i'll be making sure the suspension is fine before getting the alignment done. :thumbsup:

A

another sunny

This happened on mine, it turned out to be the bottom ball joint had come loose then worn badly making it very erratic. Somebody previously had fitted the split pin incorectly allowing the nut to undo 3 turns. This is worth a check for all those who have had new suspension fitted .

youngsyp

Adamantium said:
Thanks everyone...
Don't worry - i'll be making sure the suspension is fine before getting the alignment done. :thumbsup:
The guy would tell you, if something was not as it should be. But yes, it would be prudent to check the common area's before driving down there and wasting your time. ;-)

antgtir

If its on the back, take a look at the rear tie bars. With a good thump these can bend, they dont need to be bend alot to give you problems.

These bars are used to align the rear wheels. The nuts holding them to the rear sub frame are acentric so a turn will pull the bars and hence the wheels in a specific direction.

Worth a look.

Ant.