Car turns over without key!!!!HELP!!!

nismoboy

Please help :!: , My R is turning over without the key in the ignition, I have to disconnect the battery to stop it. I haven't done anything on the car lately to make it start doing this. I went to start the car but it wouldn't fire up so i tuned it off and took the key out but it just kept turning over :? If anyone has an idea :idea: of what this could be please tell me, much appreciated Nis.

sypher

probably the ignition switch, take down the column cowlings the put key into switch/ connect battery whilst the starter motor is turning the engine disconnect the switch, failing that test at the starter motor (i know its tight) encase the engagement solenoid/ ring gear pinion has jammed..

OZ-Racing

Not sure mate! :?

Have you tried spraying some WD40 into the ignition barrel, the mechanism may be sticking :?:

Can't think of any other cause, sorry.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Does the starter motor still turn over when the car's running? If so it may be a dodgy connection on the starter?

Dodgy starter switch? If theres's an electrical connector anywhere near the ignition switch that you can unplug to disconnect the ignition switch from the main harness, try that and see if it cures it.

Alarm or turbo timer problem?

I must learn to type faster :oops:

C

chris-b

wont be an alrm or tubby timer- they only keep car running, not crank engine as syper says most prob!
thats an odd one!

skiddusmarkus

If starter is continually turning over,get it sorted asap becasue it's a pain to get to(at back of gearbox) and the labour will be expensive to replace it

A

AVOGTIR

try a new battery, i had this problem when i rebuilt my brothers pug 205gti, charge the battery and and was sweet. sticking solenoid

nismoboy

fixed! thanks for all the feedback. I done as mentioned recharged the battery and disconected the ignition then re-conected it all back up and now its fine :) cheers nis