car wont start at all now

A

Anonymous

hi peoples,
for those of you who have read my posts, it may always seem that im just asking questions, when ever I post, and well yes, thats cause im having lots of hassles with the car,BUT I CAN SAY IM ON HERE READING JUST ABOUT EVERY AREA OF THE FORUM DAILY, I CHOOSE NOT TO POST ALL THE TIME, AS I FEEL IF U DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR ON ABOUT, THEN U SHOULDNT GIVE MISSGUIDING INFO.
NOW FOR THE DELEMA.

I had the water temp sensor changed the other day, in which the part was brought from nissan, but was different from the original.
car ran ok on the way home 30min drive and only booted it once at the end of the drive.
Went to start the car 2 days later, and there was no cold start idle, started at 1100, and within 1 min was jumping between 250rpm and 1000rpm, drove the car for 20metres, where it was stuttering heaps and when i stoped it it stunk a heap outa the exhaust, like a burning sorta smell.
so i changed the sensor back to the old one ( what a prick of a job, hard to get to)
and tried to start the car it started and ran for about 2 seconds and wouldnt fire up again, and u could smell the funny smell again slightly
SO WHAT DO U THINK, COULD THE TEMP SENSOR DO ANY DAMAGE IF IT WAS THE WRONG ONE??? NISSAN DOUBLE CHECKED IT AND SAID THAT THE PART AND NUMBER HAS BEEN CHANGED AND YES I DEFFINATLY GOT THE RIGHT SENSOR.
SO FAR IVE CHECKED FOR FAULT CODES COMES UP CLEAR.
THE OIL LEVEL IS FINE, A BIT OVER FULL AND THE WATER LEVEL IS FINE.

if i have blown the engine would the oil still look normal or would it be milky......
AND YES FOR THE LITTLE TIME IT DID RUN THERE WAS LOTS A SMOKE, BUT IT WAS TOO DARK TO SEE THE COLOUR....

SORY for such a long post but im devastated, as it seems to be just one thing after another, have had the r now for anearly 2 years and the 1st year was hassle free (almost).
Please give me your honest opinion, of what u recon it could be from the small amount of info i have given
(really its like saying how long is a peice of string though)
thanks Luke.....

J

jasegould

Sounds like its flooded for a kick off. I dont think the wrong sensor would do damage, just mess the fuelling up

zia

basically if the old temp was not working you,d normally have cold starting/running issues. if these problem did/have not occured before fittment of the sensor then i would assume that the cure like somewhere else? things to check!
1 check voltage to sensor shoud 5v on one lead and earth on the other
2 resistenace test on the sensor
3 check for blockage

zia

A

Anonymous

ok cant see it being the fuel filter, as i just replaced this the week before along with leads distibutor cap and rotor button.
(i wish i hadnt had the sensor changed as the workshop said prior to fitting it that they have checked the sensor one other time it was there and its fine,i said owell ive bought it so may as well change it...

the car will be getting towed to get worked on during the week.
was told by another owner, that when his sensor went his car stank and wouldnt start, so heres hoping...
AM THINKING THAT MAYBEE I FUCKED THE TEMP SENSOR HARNESS WHEN I WAS TRING TO RECONNECT IT AS I HAD IT AROUND THE WRONG WAY TO START WITH, AS ITS NOT EXACTLY EASY TO GET AT...

will keep u updated, and will get em to check all that u have said, but i ant going to touch it anymore...
THANKS LUKE........

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd try taking the plugs out and clean them up, check the gap while they're out too.

It depends how the engine had blown as to wether the oil would be milky. You could expect it to be milky with a blown head gasket, (or you might just get oil in the water :? ) but if you'd done the ring lands, you'd just lose compression. Emulsion on the oil cap (milky oil :? ) can also be down to alot of short journeys and normally cleared with a good long run.