car wont turn over. aaarrrggghhhhh!!!!

akchang

i was turning the engine over with injectors dissconnected to prime a new turbo install to fill the turbo with oil and water. after cranking it over several times it just stopped cranking. i am sure there is power as i tried again with jumper cables attached. when i turn the key the only noise i get is a double click that i think is a solenoid on the firewall. please please if anyone has any ideas let me know. this is the only thing keeping my car from running. i have been working a long time to get to this point and now of course something else has to go wrong.

OZ-Racing

I'm sure that the double click is what you get when the battery is flat. That's what happened to me.
You don't seem to get any warning of the battery going either, just works one day and nothing the next.

Could be this :)

akchang

i have tried two different batteries as well as having it connected to a running car via jumper cables. so i know thats not it.

I

Innovate Performance

mate check the earth on your engine as if it is not getting a good earth the started motor will do this. The other thing is the starter motor could be faulty. Try tapping it with some thing.

ki_saj_ng

earth on the starter mate.

u get the click but no turning at all.

its a bit fiddly getting to but u can if u are under the car.

i know this is it cos i had a problem with the speedo sensor on the tranny and knocked this off and has the same symptoms, plugged it back on and 8) as ever.

G

GartracS2

Its the starter probably as the noise you hear maens that the solenoid is working and recieving voltage from the ignition switch.

To give you a bit of advice put the car in 2nd gear and rock back and forth this may disengage the starter it might be stuck.

Re the earth cables check the main gearbox earth isnt green at the brass ring if its brittle it will twist easily forwards and back.

If all else fails take the motor out and bench test it by putting an earth cable to battery earth and attaching to the motors housing anywhere is okay.
put the postive cable from battery positive direct to the big terminal on the starter then to operate a thin wire is all thats needed to bridge the big terminal with the ign switch terminal.