Centre diff? I want RWD

K

krazeguy

Has anybody got any pics or images of the centre diff, open in all its glory? I want to weld/lock it and remove the Half - shafts to make the car RWD. Similar to Japboys, but they don't tell anyone how to do it so figure i'll try myself.

Anyone had experience with the viscous centre diff?

Cheers.

A

andy n

i'd be tempted to get a knackered centre diff from someone on here (there will be a few i reckon) and get that welded and drop it in, then you have the option to swap back. the centre diffs are expensive and if yours is ok then i'd do that.

K

krazeguy

I got a spare gearbox. My current one needs the input shaft bearing replaced. So while the gearbox is out ill lock the diff then fit a new bearing. That way if anything goes wrong I can put the spare box back in :wink:

O

Olly

centre diffs welded together when made so you will have to cut into it to get access, why not get a old silvia turbo, weld up the diff on that, pull off the pipe off the actuator and enjoy it while it lasts :lol:

Mr GTiR

my mates got a Cusco rear diff which allows the car to run more power to the rear's

it will be up for sale soon.

P

petegtir

Mr GTiR said:
my mates got a Cusco rear diff which allows the car to run more power to the rear's

it will be up for sale soon.
how can a rear diff allow more power to be given to it?
are you sure its not just a more locking rear diff so that the lsd works faster?

Mr GTiR

petegtir said:
how can a rear diff allow more power to be given to it?
are you sure its not just a more locking rear diff so that the lsd works faster?
i'm not sure, all i know is that this car has a Cusco rear diff and the back tyres are bald. When we took the car out it was very tail happy.

We are going to out the car back to standard so will look at the diff when we take it off.

C

Crazy

Mr GTIR, let me know when its out mate :wink:

I like the sound of that mate 8)

P

petegtir

sounds like a 2way high lock lsd. not more power to the rear i doubt as thats down to other parts. (sorry dont know the gtir well yet) but my old r32gtr had a 2way rear diff and that was very tail happy.

it will mean that the diff locks much sooner than stock so instead of letting the wheels spin as they want it pushes them both at the same speed.
if there is more power to the rears then there must be other diffs at work somewhere in the maze of parts on the car.

pete.

Mr GTiR

well the car is being put back to standard before being sold.

once i have a list of what goodies are on the car i'll let people know. The rear diff guard has been lost on the car and a new one found it's way onto mine :roll: :lol: