Changing the knock sensor location

Paul R

Hi,

After spending a few hours on Sunday trying to get near this blinkin' thing and failing, yes I can see it. I even managed to get a socket on the end using a U/J and three extension bars but couldn't get the thing to move. (I removed the oilfilter but couldn't get the bolts holding the frame undone)

Anyway after seeing a knocklink pickup mounted onto the holes just above the exhaust manifold I wondered if I could mount it elsewhere and hook into the existing connector.

I know that this is done with other cars as long as care is taken with the mounting location, I think with the R's the weakspot or the cylinder that suffers the most is Cyl 4? So somewhere between 3 and 4 should be OK right?

With that in mind has anyone tried this with an R?

Also where does the cable go? reading archived posts there is a connector above the gearbox but there are quite a few around there? Anyone have a piccy or can describe it or the wiring colour?

I'll hook it up to the S-AFCII and check the value returned compared with the current one.

I assume this is the correct forum rather than problem solving if not can someone move it please.

Paul R

:) that would make it a whole lot easier to get to, is it plumbed into the existing wiring? From what I remember of your car at TOTB3 it had quite a bit of work done.

MarkTurbo

Paul R said:
Also where does the cable go? reading archived posts there is a connector above the gearbox but there are quite a few around there? Anyone have a piccy or can describe it or the wiring colour?
The wire from the knock sensor goes into the loom that goes through the bulkhead to the ecu :wink:

Paul R

uh huh, but does the connector on the sensor join another connector into the loom or is it one piece if you know what I mean?

Thing is I've seen two posts now which give tantellising info of a connector (which can be reached by mortals :) ) One post says that from the wiring diagram (?) it's by the gearbox, but not connected to it. And another post from ages ago mentions a connector and even says there is a piccy on Ray's site, I've been through it and can't find any mention.

I don't mind feeding a wire through but I guess it depends on which wire goes to the ECU. The base of the knock sensor grounds to the engine and there are two outputs but only one to the ECU. Does one go to the ECU ground or +ve?

Anyone know?

MarkTurbo

Paul R said:
uh huh, but does the connector on the sensor join another connector into the loom or is it one piece if you know what I mean?
There is another connector (8 pin plug) in the loom before it goes to the ecu and i think the knock sensor wires are part of this.

I think the connector is the one in the area on top the gearbox, but i cant be sure cos my loom isnt in the car at the moment :wink: Its on the floor of my shed :lol:

Paul R

ah, well still good news though. Any chance you could try and see if you can see the knock sensor connector and see the wiring colours and if they daisychain in via another connector please? Might be easier if it's not on the car.

MarkTurbo

Well, as my loom is in a heap on the floor :lol: and probably a lot easier to look at than yours i'll have a look tomorrow and see what colour the knock sensor wires are :wink:

MarkTurbo

Paul, the wire you're after is a single creamy white coloured wire :wink:

Its in one of the corners of that 8 pin plug in the loom near the gearbox. From the connector it goes back to pin 27 on the ecu.

Hope that helps :D

Paul R

Cheers, will go digging later on :) :)

Daz:

How many spade connectors are there on the knock sensor itself? I have two on the one I have, it a generic part rather than the Nissan one. Do they have only one spade connector?

MarkTurbo

If i remember rightly theres 2 pins on the actual knock sensor :wink: but only 1 wire in the connector. So i dont know what the other pin is for :?

I would go and look but some muppet called Hudson has got it :roll: :lol:

Paul R

Ah, thank you. Just is case it matters, you know the connector (which I assume you still have on your loom, in the garage) does the single wire connect to the lefthand or the righthand spade connector?

MarkTurbo

If you look at the knock sensor (with the locating ridge for the wiring connector at the top) the wire goes onto the left hand terminal :wink:

MarkTurbo

Paul R said:
Thank you very much, I owe you a beer :) 8)
[Homer Simpson]Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Beeeeeeeeeeeeeer[/Homer Simpson] :lol:

No problem mate :wink: I do have my moments where im actually of some use to people :roll: :D