Charge cooler

Trip

From the pics it looks like a standard intercooler got transformed to a chargecooler. Two plates are welded on each face to create a "jacket" to hold liquid. NO HKS.

I've seen this done on Scoobies.

jameswrx2

Strange thing is my mate had a white UK car and it had almost the exact same mods on it.. Charge cooler made up from standard intercooler, quick shift, hks boost controller (was told hks turbo) hks bov, hks front pipe, hks induction etc etc

I can't remember where the work was done on his but the spec list read pretty much the same apart from the exhaust. His was pacifc motorsport or something.

His was done many years ago though, must have been when the GTi-R was fairly new.

jameswrx2

Trip said:
how does he find the chargecooler ?

It was a few years back now (hence had) but it worked pretty well from what I remember, had that sort of crisp feeling all the time (If you know what I mean) unlike when the std intercooler sort of feels wooley after a while.

Only problem he had was when the water pump failed, the price to replace it (IIRC it was a pace pump) was madness. We eventually used a caravan shower pump which worked well and was feck all money.. not sure on the durability though but had a similar flow etc.

He ended up ditching it though as it was rubbing against something and wore through the alloy sheet of the water jacket.. he got it welded up and they went a bit mad with the bird 5hit and went through the core of the intercooler underneath.

Personally though I wouldn't bother nowadays with the cost of a front mount being so low and they work great from my experience.

Although I suppose you could do your own chargecooler for little money.. as you say, just the 2 skins welded over the intercooler with a couple of alloy pipes (one on left on top, one bottom right underneath) then you need a radiator for the water heat exchanger (easy enough to come by cheaply) a pump (see above) a swirl pot with lid to fill, hosing and a adjustable boost switch to trigger the pump so it's not running all the time.

Last edited:

saddler

gunmetalgtir said:
That car is a total and utter bucket!!!

I'm surprized you even wasted your time reading the advert! :lol:
i was not going to buy it just was very interested in the chargecooling side...