Checking engine mounts?

Gaz gtiR

ive got a clunking noise when i turn out of a junction or on full lock. now ive changed cv joints, drop links. ball joints. & the noise is still there. i spoke to Bob at GTIR R US a while back & he said it could be my transfer box! but before i assume it is that i want to check my engine mounts! how is the best way to do this?? :?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Look at them? The two big ones are quite visible, and I would have thought you'd be able to spot damage to them.

Before you go jumping to conclusions; what are your struts/springs like? Could it be the sound of dropped suspension not being quite as the geometry was originally intended? - I used to get a knocking noise, but that turned-out to be a loose hub nut; if you've had the CV joints out I'm assuming that's good and tight again.

Gaz gtiR

i have had a look at them but cant see any damage im wondring if there is any other way they could be damaged thats not visible? yes it is lowerd ill have to check struts. yes i tightend them with a braiker bar then just slackend them off a little. the nuts are tight!

danr

turn left or right? i had a clunk on the left when reversing right. was the front left wishbone rear bush, had perished.

Animaldaz

You can use a lever bar on them and check them like you would a suspension bush. Or get an assistant to start the engine and depress the clutch then engage 1st or reverse, then whilst holding the brakes on slowly release the clutch to biting point whilst you look at the mounts. This will show up any movement .

splmum

You can use a lever bar on them and check them like you would a suspension bush. Or get an assistant to start the engine and depress the clutch then engage 1st or reverse, then whilst holding the brakes on slowly release the clutch to biting point whilst you look at the mounts. This will show up any movement .
If you do this, DO NOT stand in front of the car to look, stand at the side. It may sound silly but I have know people to do this, slip on the clutch, car lurches forward and the observer has a broken leg.

Gaz gtiR

If you do this, DO NOT stand in front of the car to look, stand at the side. It may sound silly but I have know people to do this, slip on the clutch, car lurches forward and the observer has a broken leg.
lmao hope you wer joking? lol. ill get underneith tomorrow n chec it al out! as PoBoDy says dont jump to conclusions at first. :)

Gaz gtiR

ive never towed it whilst ive owned it. its from the front when i let clutch out & have got the wheels turned theres a knocking/clunking coming from sumwhere? havent had chance to look at engine mounts today! hungover :doh:

Gaz gtiR

i changed the driveshafts to try & cure the problem but obviusly not cured it! i got a second hand pair driveshafts of bob at gtir r us. he checked them before he sent them & said they were fine. im ruling cv joints out for now & trying to see what else it could be?? ill check the prop!