clunk search with car on a ramp

CruiseGTi-R

I’ve got a few occasional clunks, clonks and grinding. I’ve posted about it before, but I’ve wangled some ramp time to take a look, so I’m really just after what and how to look for a possible diagnosis while on the ramp.

All you mechanics out there, how do I check for worn CV’s, driveshafts, etc while I’ve ramp time?

(the knocking/cracking/clunking happens under power out of left turns, and feels loud enough at times to be felt at my feet/through steering wheel, car is sometimes juddery out of left handers too. I'd like it to be CV's but I don't really get the 'popping/clicking' which some of you describe...)?

N

Norfy

sounds like a cv joint frm what you have described.

is difficult to get a noise when the wheels are off the ground, but sometimes is possible to hear if you have it in the air. you need to get some1 to hold it at full lock whilst you rotate the front wheels.
also check for cv grease that may have leaked out of your rubber cv boots.
if possible check you have enough grease in your cv joints/boots, but you will prob need to cut the old boot clamps off, which means you`ll need new ones.

antgtir

CruiseGTi-R said:
mad max said:
had the same prob it was my n/s driveshaft
what were the symptoms, what sort of clunk and when?

what actually goes wrong with a driveshaft?
Dependant on the severity of the dmage to the drive shaft the sound could range from a small knock noise to a heavy bang.

The teeth/cogs on the end of the drive shaft which enters the transfer box would be excessively worn i.e. creating a larger gap between contact points between the main cog and teeth within the transfer box and the ends of the drive shafts, which would cause a kind of slaping effect inside the transfer box.

If you change the transfer box oil you should be able to see shards of metal i.e. metal from the teeth/cogs, if so may be time for new shafts and transfer box :? :cry:

Ant.