Clutch fitment

tomble

Hello, is it possible to replace the clutch etc WITHOUT removing the engine? i've done it before on Rover 2.0's though i think the R's engine bay is a little more cramped than that!

any info greatly received :)

tomble

Shaun

:D Hi Tomble,yes it is possible to change the clutch on an 'R' without removing the engine 8)but you have to remove the transferbox ,i've done 2 that way now 8) 8) 8) Will be doing a third one in the next couple of weeks(my own 8) ) :lol: :lol:

P

Paul Firth

I've done it without removing the engine or transfer box. It just means you have to line up the clutch by feeling it with your fingers.

Shaun

Paul Firth said:
I've done it without removing the engine or transfer box. It just means you have to line up the clutch by feeling it with your fingers.
:wink: Not on the 'R' surely mate :?: :shock: :wink: As theres a bolt behind the transferbox that holds the gearbox to the block from the inside.Otherwise it would be a piece of pish to do.

P

Paul Firth

Yes on the R :wink: . You can get a spanner to both the 14mm bolt from the transfer to the gearbox and the 17mm bolt from the engine to the gearbox. You have to pull the gearbox away from the engine and transfer box once those 2 bolts are half out then take them out the rest of the way and they then stay where they are (unless you also remove the speed sensor). It gives you enough room to get the clutch out with the engine tilted down. I've fitted 2 clutches to mine this way (clutch fork snapped a few months after the first one :evil: ). I've also removed the gearbox fully another time by taking out the transfer box when I had a problem with the gearbox.
The last time I tried this method though was on someone elses car and the engine had been out before and all the bolts were stupidly tight (probably airgunned) and I couldn't get the last bolt undone and ended up putting it all back together and had to take it in to work and take the engine out on the ramp. :oops: