Clutch/gearbox problem

J

Jamz

recently when pushing the clutch in it feels like the pedal is catching on something and generally isn't as smooth as it used to be. Also if I hold it in at a certain spot in neutral (about where it starts to bit) occasionally there's a nasty metal on metal griding sound in the engine bay. :?

Any ideas ?

James

hmmm

If there is a spongy feel to the clutch then it could be that a rubber boot needs lubricating. The rubber boot is in the engine bay by the slave cylinder. If you lift the boot off you can see down a rounded rectangular hole and see the clutch arm and the clutch cover (shiny rounded bit on the left).. There is a bolt there and you can see the spring clip (metal wire about the thickness of a coat hanger) dab in the joint there.

This worked for me and Kyepen.

kyepan

hi there.

erm first try a search for clutch pedal box breaking.. get a bracket if steve pudney is still doing them. and check to see if it is tearing away from the bulk head in the footwell.

then put a dab of copper slip on the clutch fork pivot, and see if that helps the noises.

A

Anonymous

Jamz said:
recently when pushing the clutch in it feels like the pedal is catching on something and generally isn't as smooth as it used to be. Also if I hold it in at a certain spot in neutral (about where it starts to bit) occasionally there's a nasty metal on metal griding sound in the engine bay. :?

Any ideas ?

James
whatever it ends up being,i don't think it'll be cheap to fix :cry:

the metal to metal sound could be your friction material is worn down to the rivets but,i think it would've been slipping before it got that far.

could be the release bearing on it's way out as well.either way it's either engine/gearbox out for a look or a lot of fookin about dismantling trying to get a look :cry:

J

Jamz

whoa :D thanks for the quick replies!

If I said the gearbox has got rather whiney recently too especially when pulling away in 1st and coasting in gear would that pin point it any better ?

Cheers :D

James

A

Anonymous

Jamz said:
whoa :D thanks for the quick replies!

If I said the gearbox has got rather whiney recently too especially when pulling away in 1st and coasting in gear would that pin point it any better ?

Cheers :D

James
bearings on the way out :shock:

J

Jamz

Engine out it is then! :D Quite annoying really as I only put it back in a few months ago :( Doh!

Thanks for the help.

James