CLUTCH!!! Help please

ki_saj_ng

Hello, Just recently got my hands on a R, first car and at the age of only 18, im a happy kid :)

Ok down to the crunch, when i bought the car i knew the clutch was a little bit dodgy but obviously I overlooked it a bit too much - blame the car not me. The car just revs real high when the acc pedel is floored and pulls away a little later, this is the problem but also i wanted some advice on what type of clutch to get, where from and prices of the part and fitting prices i should be paying.

I am running approx 270bhp and am not really aiming for anything above 300bhp, the car will be used on motoways quite frequently.

Another issue that i need to take in consideration is that the car is booked in with Silvia Tuning next friday 1st oct. I am having my tappets done, a full service, a setup and a rolling road test but obviously the clutch needs to be running right for them to test and set the car properly. So i am a little strapped for time and i am not looking to get this delayed as it was such a mission to get the car booked in as the majority of other tuners wanted bookings in advance of at least a couple months.

I am spending quite a lot of money on this baby already and i dont mind all that much but it means that i wont be able to feed myself for the next year or two - STUDENT - so if possible i would like to get the most competitive of prices.

I know this has gone on forever but i thought i should give all the info so that you guys could give me the best of answers.

THANKS in advance for all your help.

saj

ki_saj_ng

i just called these guys up and for this clutch they want £418 inc vat but not fitting.

Norris Designs do an organic clutch also for alot cheaper, they want £288. Is this no good or something, they recommended this one for the sort of power i was running and said it could easily support upto 350bhp

J

jiw

yeah call back for a re-quote, they only wanted £140 for the friction plate when i emailed them last week, jeff

ki_saj_ng

is there much difference between this helix organic and the norris designs organic clutch?

what sort of price should i be paying for fitting?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
ki_saj_ng said:
is there much difference between this helix organic and the norris designs organic clutch?

what sort of price should i be paying for fitting?
You'll probably find that the Norris Designs clutch for £288 is actually an AP Racing Organic Clutch...

Its quite suitable for your needs...

Rishi

O

Olly

Highly recommend the Helix Organic latest level clutch (handles more torque) I have fitted many and never seen one fail. :lol: 8) AP's not as strong.

J

Jamz

Fookin hell, Pulsar as a first car at 18 ? I'd have killed myself within a week if I had one for my first car.

kyepan

yer man, clutches get talked about alot here..

you can be charged anywhere from around a couple of hundred to stupid money to have it changed, some people drop the engine, others do it in situe,
on buying clutches general rule of thumb from what i have read is get a decent one, or you will have to pay to have it out again, and that ain't cheep.

Helix - solid
AP - ok
Exedey - pm edd before u think about buying

if you want to save money, olly and exgtir do clutch changes at very resonable prices.

18.. you lucky git. he he. i had to wait till i was 24.. he he.

JB

A

Az

jiw said:
get a helix organic from www.mardigras.co.uk :D
Got mine from there :)

Helix Organic Fastroad. Very sharp bit (compared to what I'm used to) and got it fitted at a garage quite easily :)

I think I took the last one they had in stock at the time and it was £320ish including VAT.

N

Ninja_tune_factory

if ya need a clutch go to dan or si at srb power they can do you a spr clutch for £355 thats what i got in my R and it fooking grate

ki_saj_ng

hello guys,

firstly i wanna say thanks for all the replies n yes i am a fookin lucky git :)

i think i know enough now about which one to go for but you guys are gonna kill me here, i just drove back from hertfordshire today - where im studying - and the clutch was FINE, didnt slip one bit. at times its a little shakey in second gear pulling off but apart from that there was no problem with it.

i will probably still get it changed just for peice of mind but i just dont understand what just happened.

once again, cheers