Clutch Issues fao os giken owners

E

Edd

Right got an Os giken twin plate fitted as some of you know.
surprisingly the clutch has been very quiet making no noise at all on idle or when pulling away or changing gear where i heard few peopl say it's noisy.It did vibrate a bit i first pulling away but i have got nismo solid engine mounts and put it down to bit of clutch/mounts.

Today i downchanged from 4th to 3rd at 50mph but with no revs just pure downchange and could feel a vibration through pedal (was about to overtake but didnt in the end)
anyway also noticed later on in journey home the car or clutch should i say was vibrating more than usual.

I'm not imagingin it as my mate who drove it has driven today and says the clutch feels different.

However if you pull away and give it bit more revs 2-3k then it doesnt vibrate at all and if you downshift and rev it a bit before engaging it doesnt vibrate either.
Also when it vibrates on downchange you can hear a groaning/whining noise (plates i presume)

So if i just rev more when pulling away and rev a bit on downchange it's fine, but why has it suddenly changed?

Just because its bedded in?
Somethings loose?
Hydraulic problem ? (car has new master and slave cylinder)
Centre diff problem?

Or are these vibrations just what you expect from a twin plate clutch?

it only really vibrates if you dont give it enough revs really and when you downchange without revving it so to me i think it might just be labouring on the clutch.

any ideas?

especially like to hear from twin plate owners :D :cry:

J

J-GTi-R

Not got a Giken obviously, but the Helix does the same so it might just be normal clutch judder.

Sweeny

These are the exact symptoms that i had mate, but it dont stop there. The noise gets progressively (spelling) worse. Mine now sounds like chewbakka off star wars evert time i pull away. Sometimes its quite embarrasing as its vey noisy. Just get a goose if you aint already got one, and that will drown it out slightly.

Ive asked four R tuners now (your good friend being one of them :lol: ) and they all said its normal.

Ring me if you want to discuss further.

Cheers.

James.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
That "chewbakkaa" noise is the cerimetalic plates in the OS Giken and that noise normal once the cerimetalic plates have bedded in. Mine HKS Cerimetalic Paddle does it when cold when it warmed up it's fine.

I know it's to late now but as far as the vibration goes did you get the OS Giken Cover and flywheel balanced ??? ( You'd think as the cover a flywheel are effectively one piece it would be balanced at the factory). I took mine along with the rest of my rebuild to be balanced the other day and I called today to see how things were getting along, he said he checked all the bits separately for balance first before making any adjustments and he was surprised the OS Given actually needed to be balanced but it was out of balance enough to need correction.

E

Edd

hmm the clutch isnt actually any noisier warm or cold, infact when the cars cold it vibrates less :shock:
and is worse when warm, could it possibly be a hydraulic/fluid problem
it has new master and slave cylinders
best go check my fluid level :wink: