Clutch Master Cylinder

P

Pauld

Hi, I had a new paddle clutch fitted a couple of weeks ago, after a couple of days I had trouble with it as it burst the clutch hose. I replaced this and all seemed fine for about a week but now I have another problem, the pedal doesnt have as much pressure on it as before until its pushed fairly far down, and the biting point is literally on the floor. I've bled the system again and no luck. The slave cylinder seems fine, there is no leaks and it seems to be moving freely, there is also no leaks along any of the pipework and the fluid level is at the max. i've been told it is more than likely the master cylinder that has gone, does this sound about right?

Also, the guy that fitted the clutch said it may be worth putting a different master cylinder on if possible, as he predicted it might pack in after he fitted the clutch. I know skyline ones have a servo on them which would make the pedal seem a lot softer, does anyone know if it is possible putting one of these on a gtir?

Thanks for your help
Paul

Mr GTiR

Check to see if there is fluid on your clutch pedal and on the carpit on the drivers mat. If so then your seals have gone on the master cylinder.

As far as i'm aware no one has ever fitted a Skyline item to the R.

J

jpward

Theres little enough room in there for the cyclinder as it is :lol: so dont think it would fit,

2 things
1st id replace the seals in the master cyclinder shame it wasnt done b4 when lump out as is soooooo much easier but couple of hours work when in albeit skinned knuckles and about 12-14 quid for kit,

2nd id put a braided hose on the clutch pipe run as you will have better pedal feel and this wont burst and to be honest you must have some left leg on you to burst one unless your a power lifter :lol: :lol:

P

Pauld

Cheers for the replys, as far as I can see there doesnt seem to be any fluid on the clutch pedal at all, and like i said the fluid level is still on the max so i dont see that it is leaking anywhere.

I did look in to a braided hose, but just ended up getting another standard one from nissan for now to see how it went, and that seems ok at the moment!

I've not really looked how much bigger a skyline master cylinder is, but like you say if it is much bigger i see your point about it not fitting as it does seem as tho there is a lack of room around there, shame tho.

So, if there is not any sign of fluid leaking on the pedal, would this mean that the master cylinder is ok anyway, or could there be a possibilty that it has packed in without showing signs of leaking?

Thanks
Paul

P

Pauld

Yeah, adjusted it about 5 or 6 days ago so dont think it will be that.

Think im just going to change the slave cylinder to cancel out all possibility of it being that first, as it seems that wont be too hard to replace, and then if I still have problems replace the master cylinder too, probably end up spending more than i have too but at least ill know their both new and working then

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Sounds very similar to what symptoms I’ve had.

A bent clutch release fork. :cry:

In the gearbox where the clutch fork pivots on a pin, mine had punctured a hole though the fork making gear changes almost impossible.

When mine went I had no fluid loss, a very low biting point (the floor of the car) and ended crunching gears.

I'd say it could be a good possibility that this maybe whats casing problems.

Gray

id say release fork and bearing!
Same thing happened to me
Gearbox out job im afraid.

P

Pauld

I mentioned the possibility of it being the clutch fork to the guy that fitted the clutch for me, and he didnt seem to think it would be this, and surely he would have seen what sort of condition the fork was in when he did the clutch, which was only like 2 weeks ago max

P

Pauld

I couldnt tell you mate, ive not done anything with it since ive had the car, what does it look like / do?

R

RUDI-GTIR

i know this sounds stupid but have you checked the little filler bottle to the right of the brake servo i didnt know this was the resoviour 4 the clutch pedal doh

J

jpward

Pauld said:
I couldnt tell you mate, ive not done anything with it since ive had the car, what does it look like / do?
ok it fits on the underside of the pedal box to stop side ways movement speak to stevey p he can supply them ;-)

P

Pauld

Yes mate, the resovour is full ;)

Right, ill have a look tomorrow and see if there seems to be anything like that there, although i very much doubt there is

I changed the slave cylinder tonight anyway just to make sure it wasnt that causing the problem......and it wasnt :( ill be ordering a master cylinder tomorrow to give that a go