Clutch Noise.........Advice/help

scottyd

I have a os giken twin plate clutch and a quaife gearset, and here is my problem/worry:

when i pull off in 1st gear sometimes i hear a "wooo" noise as if the clutch is whining, and i was told this is ok as it is the sound of the clutch biting into the flywheel, but this is the only time i ever heard this noise.

This morning i noticed it happening when i changed from 1st into 2nd and when i let the clutch up (near the top of the clutch travel) i heard this noise again, same goes for 2nd into 3rd and when i let the clutch up the noise is there again. (the noise is only brief, and disappears once the clutch is fully up)

Is this normal, and is there a reason why it has started happening now?

Please help,
Scott.

P

pulsarboby

the noise you can hear is your clutch release bearing, squealing!
it generally indicates a worn or dried out noisy bearing.

when you take your foot off clutch the bearing spinning is the noise you can hear, best thing to do, is not worry about it, unless you want to take your box off now to change it!
i have known cars to still drive fine for thousands of miles with a noisy bearing, if it gets hard to change gear, then is the time to remove it, but untill then, just leave it be!

O

Odin

From what I've heard about OS Giken clutches, They do appear to be a bit noisy in operation, Or like the blobster said it could be the release bearing.

Rob

P

pulsarboby

blobster:shock: you going soft on me robbie, far to nice a name for me :lol:

O

Odin

Blobsterboby said:
blobster:shock: you going soft on me Robbie, far to nice a name for me :lol:

Your caught me at a weak moment matey :oops: , I'm having one of those mellow days where I'm nice to everybody :shock: :oops: .

Don't worry normal service will resume as soon as I can find my nasty streak again :thumbsup: .

Rob

Ricky_GTi-R

Odin said:
I'm having one of those mellow days where I'm nice to everybody :shock: :oops: .Rob
Since when did you have mellow days and be nice to everybody???:shock: :shock:

Do these come around every 2 years or so??:lol: :lol: ;-)

Ricky

scottyd

Brilliant, i was looking forward to my first problem:doh: , ha, anyways, is it a big job to replace the release bearing? and is there a cause/reason for this happening, e.g the way i work the clutch/ way i drive, or is it just general wear and tear?

Oh, and, i know it may be ok to drive for a while with a knackered release bearing, but it won't have any other adverse effects will it? like any damage/strain on other parts? because if it does i'm just going to get it fixed to save me some grief in the long run.

Last edited:
O

Odin

Its an engine out job matey, And no if it is the bearing which I'm not a 100% about because of the Os's reputation for being noisy, You shouldn't do any other damage really unless it breaks up.

Rob

scottyd

Thanks for the replies, been very helpful:thumbsup:

Next time i'm up at Tom Fergusons (should be soon as i want my poly bushes done) I will ask Steve what he thinks, and I will go from there............

Cheers.