clutch problem

abyss

I have the clutch support bracket fitted but when i trying to get the car into reverse it seems as if the clutch isn't fully engaged. Same with the 1 gear i can only put it into first when im stationary. Or i have to go from say 5th to 2nd then to 1 with a bit off effort. the box has only been in the car 3 months. I never really thought about it till the other day does anyone else have the same problem. It doesn't bother me that much i just thought i would ask to see if it is a common problem with the box. Also have a b&m short shift fitted.

Nigell_d6

Hi,

have the support fitted but no problems with selecting, your clutch may need adjusting now its been in three months, sometimes they do sometimes they don't,
Regards

Nigel

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
When you say the box has only been in the car 3 months, do you mean it's a new one, new second hand one or your original box has been rebuilt and refitted.

If it's new second hand one or your original box has been rebuilt, I would suggest you have a slightly bent selector fork.
Or you could try checking the clutch fluid in the resivoir, if it's blackened with bits floating in it, it's likley the slave cylinder needs replacing, this seems to be quite a common fault as the cars are coming up to that age when ancilleries are begining to fail. Or you could try just bleeding the clutch fluid and replacing it then adjusting the pedal travel (there is a how to in the how to section)

Steve

A

AJ4

abyss said:
Also have a b&m short shift fitted.
So have I, and I wish I hadn't bothered. Gearchanges are a nightmare, have to slow down the gear change so much to get it into gear, its pointless having it ! :D

D

deslynam

Probably means the clutch cable might need adjusting? (or is self-adjusting on the 'R?)

RE: B&M shifter - interesting, so it's not just the other cars I've heard about where short-shift gear-sticks aren't that helpful...

O

Odin

deslynam said:
Probably means the clutch cable might need adjusting? (or is self-adjusting on the 'R?)

It's nether self adjusting or cable operated fella :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Its a hydraulic operated clutch matey, IE no cables :wink: .

rob

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
courtesy of the how to section

You can adjust the clutch release from inside the car on the back of the pedal. Take a 12mm spanner with you then stick your head under the dash. On the clutch pedal you should see the rod going to the clutch cylinder and a lock nut on the rod. Crack that nut loose and you should be able to turn the rod and wind it out to give it a bit more length. I found that using a Monkey Wrench easiest. Adjust until you are happy with the bite point then tighten up the locking nut.

abyss

how do you get space to access the nut so you can adjust it i have a 12mm spaner but can't get access to it as its right against the steering rack.

i have checked the clutch master cylinder reservoir and its full but the liquid is almost black. My friend tried bleeding the slave cylinder but to no avail as there's no leaking. When the engine is off i can select every gear but when on i can't get any. My dad has had a look he says that when you press the clutch and go to engage first its like a chaffing noise. My dad thinks its got to be the slave as you can here the pressure plate trying to engage the clutch plate. But if anyone has a second opinion it would be appreciated.

Also the clutch pedal has no pressure until the last 1 inch.

How much would it cost for a slave cylinder and is it hard to fit.