Clutch Problem

S

Sam P

HI Ppl im new on here and really need your help, ive just bought a pulsar and its just had a paddle clutch fitted. i was driving the car today and could feel the clutch getting closer to the floor, then there was nithing :lol:. I filled it up with fluid as there was none in it but still no clutch could it need bleeding whats the worst it could be and how much????

paz

If you've only topped up the fluid there's a chance there's still not enough in. Bleed the clutch and see if that makes any difference, sounds like that to me unless you're extremely unlucky.

Paz

S

Sam P

I think im going to get it bled tomorrow, does it sound like its air locked i don't drive it hard but i think it has got a leak some were whats the worst it could be and how much thanks for the reply:thumbsup:

paz

To be honest if there was fluid in there to begin with and there suddenly wasnt that normally indicates failure of another kind.

Take a look on the clutch pedal and around that area in the drivers footwell, if there's fluid there that indicates master cylinder failure. Also have a look at the colour of any remaining fluid, if its black then that indicates seal failure.

If you recently bought the car and it just didn't have any fluid in it you might be lucky, but there's normally a reason for no fluid being in there in the first place ;)

paz

S

Sam P

There was no fluid in there to start with i could see there was a lil leak under the car earlier so think its just run out of fluid so if i fill it up will it just need bleeding, could it be possible that the slave cylinder has gone what else could it be, you can get all gear so cant be the box or the clutch can it???

S

Sam P

Also what do you mean by seal faliure is that a big thing???

paz

Sam P said:
There was no fluid in there to start with i could see there was a lil leak under the car earlier so think its just run out of fluid so if i fill it up will it just need bleeding, could it be possible that the slave cylinder has gone what else could it be, you can get all gear so cant be the box or the clutch can it???
If there's a leak, there's a leak matey ;)

Can't rightly remember where the slave cylinder usualy leaks to - you're best doing a search.

If the seals have gone, its normally easier to just buy a new component, although some people have reconditioned them.

paz

S

Sam P

well it looked like a leak ciuld see an oily substance in a puddle under the car just dint really think how much are slave cylinders roughly and is it an easy job to fit and the seals you are talking you mean the one on the slave cylinder? thanks for your help with the matter mate :thumbsup:

J

justin666

Slave cylinder is on the front of the gearbox and its a piece of you know what to change :-D If its leakin you will see that the front of the gear box bell housing will be covered in fluid and stained.

Changin is easy, only a couple of bolts hold it in place plus a clutch pipe and pivot into the gearbox. Once changed its just a case of bleeding the system through the nipple on the slave cylinder and job done :thumbsup: If memory serves correct i seem to recall the being about 40 to 50 quid from nissan.

If fluid isnt leaking from the slave then you need to trace the pipework back to the master cylinder and look for leaks around there. As Paz said, if the Master is gone then your clutch pedal will be covered. This is not a nice job to do :sad: If youre half handy with the spanners it will take a few hours to do and there isnt alot of room to work in :doh:

Start with the slave and work back anyway.

J.

S

Sam P

Thanks alot every1 im going to bleed it tomorrow cos it was bone dry so think its got air in it definetely no fluid inside the car:-D so thats lucky i hope it just needs bleeding only had it a week i love driving it but im scared to break it im only 19 so as you can imagine insurance is high and money is tight ish, theres no chance it can be owt any more serious is there ??? once again thanks to every1 who is helping

snoon

Mine was leaking at the pedal.

Changed both cylinders and pipe running from reservoir. About 70 each from Nissan and tenner for the pipe.

Never had a problem since.

S

Sam P

Did you ahve the same symptoms and its not the master cylinder as there is no fluid in the car, I just want to know that it cannot be anything more serious

J

justin666

If you have no fluid on the pedal then there is a very good chance your master cyliner is OK :thumbsup:

Fillup the system, bleed it and go from there. While you are at it just examine the pipes around the slave cylinder and the unit itself just to make sure the fluid is staying in. The issue here is that for the system to have lost the fluid, you do have a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed. Filling it back up and bleeding it again will prob solve it short term but do you really wanna be filling it up every other day???

As mentioned, check pipes and slave to find where the fluid is escaping.

J.

S

Sam P

Thanks alot every1 problem solved leaking slave cylinder, ive got another question which i am going to post now :lol: