Clutch

N

neomccollum

I have recently purchased a new clutch which is being installed as I write this. The reason I got it was the car was slipping in 3rd,4th,and 5th (RPMs climbing under hard acceleration but car not moving quicker) My question is this, is it possible there could be something else other than the clutch causing it to slip. I ask this cause the tech. doin the work said that the clutch disc actually looked ok when he pulled apart the clutch assembly, the release bearing was worn out but I don't think that would affect the clutch slipping. Reading about how the 4WD system works I got to thinking it could also be in the transfer case or LSD in the back, has anyone come across this problem before?

Animaldaz

its probably more likely to be too much power for the clutch to handle. What boost are you running and what clutch was it?

johnsy

neomccollum said:
I have recently purchased a new clutch which is being installed as I write this. The reason I got it was the car was slipping in 3rd,4th,and 5th (RPMs climbing under hard acceleration but car not moving quicker) My question is this, is it possible there could be something else other than the clutch causing it to slip. I ask this cause the tech. doin the work said that the clutch disc actually looked ok when he pulled apart the clutch assembly, the release bearing was worn out but I don't think that would affect the clutch slipping. Reading about how the 4WD system works I got to thinking it could also be in the transfer case or LSD in the back, has anyone come across this problem before?

funny you should say that i had an exedy organic fitted 8 month ago R' only running 280bhp now just recently it started slipping the way you ve described now i have not had a chance to check it out but let me know how you get on

N

neomccollum

it was a used stock clutch in there, the engine has no internal mods and runnint a GT28R turbo at 1.2-1.4 bar boost.

Braveheart

You need to have an uprated clutch fitted with the above mods... you must be pulling 340-350bhp and the OE clutch craps out at around just over 1bar with standard turbo, 280-290bhp.

warringtonjack

neomccollum said:
I have recently purchased a new clutch
Which one have you got? If its another standard one, tell your mechanic to hold fire whilst you buy an uprated one!! Otherwise, you'll be due another clutch change in a very short while. ;)

N

neomccollum

I'm putting in a clutch from a company called "JimWolftecnologies" I'm sure is just a re-branded one from another company but it's supposed to be rated for 750kg.

N

neomccollum

I'm gonna start a new thread about breaking in clutches, but if you have any sure fire ways to quickly break in a clutch post it here for me!